• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sight loss in one eye can you claim benefit.

Pete

I am not an expert on benefit claims but know a man who is. Take a look at the Martin Lewis website Money Saving Expert he good and on the side of the consumer.

when i lost the sight of my right eye said they if the other is iffy i can not get benefit just register as partly sighted:mad:

There is nothing whatsoever to stop you making a claim to benefits. The question will be whether any benefits are paid to you as a result. That will be dependant upon the severity of your condition, upon it's impact on your ability to do day to day tasks and the extent of any help that you may require as a result of that incapacity to do things.

That decision will be with DWP staff to make (once an application has been made), having had advice from medical professionals, where required. Those decisions can then be subject to an appeal, which can in turn lead to benefit payments being made to the applicants, following an initial negative decision. As someone with plenty of experience in the field, I would suggest that if you think you may qualify for benefit, then you may as well make an application to find out one way or the other. A lot of people are understandably reticent to make applications, but it's the only way to find out whether you may have a benefit entitlement for sure and to get something that you may have an entitlement to. There is nothing to lose, further details are available from:

Last edited:
It is important to consider the vision in your working eye also and think about things that you need help with that you are now not able to do yourself or on your own. For example help with bathing, cooking, shopping, reading mail, travel.
Registering as partially sighted may also entitle you to a disabled parking badge to use if someone is driving you around.

when i lost the sight of my right eye said they if the other is iffy i can not get benefit just register as partly sighted:mad:
Have you looked at Attendance Allowance, it’s how the loss in your eye has affected your daily life, and if you need help with daily living. If you have another health condition that also affects you it may well be worth claiming.
I lost a close friend some years back, and I help her fill the form in some years before she passed on.
She had to have someone do her shopping, and gardening, and a little help with a lunch time snack.
Remember in someways filling out these kind of forms it’s the worst days you find the most difficult that count.

Have you looked at Attendance Allowance, it’s how the loss in your eye has affected your daily life, and if you need help with daily living. If you have another health condition that also affects you it may well be worth claiming.
I lost a close friend some years back, and I help her fill the form in some years before she passed on.
She had to have someone do her shopping, and gardening, and a little help with a lunch time snack.
Remember in someways filling out these kind of forms it’s the worst days you find the most difficult that count.
I have today filled in a form to claim attendance allowance. 30 pages and 63 questions, some of which seem designed to trip you up. I`m expecting my claim to be turned down first time which i think is the norm for such claims, so i will have to re-apply. They don`t like parting with their money. So the moral is, don`t give up. I now have to find somewhere that sell those extra large padded envelopes & pay a high stamp fee to post it.

ADVICE
always get some one to fill in the form with you ie CAB or advice center they know he score never fill them in on your own.
especially the PIP form.and if you are expeting a visit from the PIP make sure you have a witness present at the interview

I have today filled in a form to claim attendance allowance. 30 pages and 63 questions, some of which seem designed to trip you up. I`m expecting my claim to be turned down first time which i think is the norm for such claims, so i will have to re-apply. They don`t like parting with their money. So the moral is, don`t give up. I now have to find somewhere that sell those extra large padded envelopes & pay a high stamp fee to post it.
30 pages is absolutely ridiculous! Best of luck….

Back