• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sid Field Comedy entertainer

cearnegiant

master brummie
Just been watching Sid Field comedy sketch with Jerry Desmond[ the golf course routine] Pleased that there is blue plaque outside his birthplace Osborne road Sparkbrook. My favorite Sid Field routine again with Jerry Desmond was highly camp for its time. Even Bob Hope said Sid Field was great comedy entertainer, Born and educated in Sparkbrook Sid Field 1901-1940

I am sorry to say I had never heard of Sid Field Wendy, thanks for putting the U Tube piece in I found it very funny.
paul

HI CEARNEGIANT AND WENDY
I have seen the old sid in afew things in his old and youth days but i did not knew he came and born in osbourne rd spark brook
but i think he openened up a commedy and acting house ; or should i say a little house on the moseley rd about two hundred yards from the old mosely rd swimming baths way back in thelater period of his life or was it his famil whom openened it up and i recall this propert
standing empty for many a years i can recall my grand father and mother used to mention him afew times in my early days
my grand mother andmother was connectioned to thearter days andi have mentioned afew times in my early days of joining the forum
about him and wee georgie wood and the late billy cotton all used to associated together and they all used to travel abroad together
for a holidays my sister haskept alot of old photos with billy and georgie and i think one was sid all together enjoying them selves
my youngest sister whom has them asked me whom they was and i had to point them out to her each indivisual one
billy and georgie and sid with his glasses
best wishes astonian

How interesting Astonian. We had a lot of comedy talent born in Birmingham great to hear your memories. It would be lovely to see the photo's too!

hi wendy
nice to hear from youand i hope you are well; ?
i am going to asked my youngest sister of the family to asked her if she would get one of her family members to climb
into the loft and retrieved some of the old photos out of my mothers belongings again because she did do this some time ago
and showed us all ; meaning my older brothers and myself the pics of the war years and yesteryeas of mom and her parents
ernest and bertha walking and in some cases lounging on he beech with these guys i have mentioned
on variuos locations around the world they are in black and white pics
my sister being so young and in the cases of not being born then did not know whom these people was until i informed her
as she asked me whom they was and i pointed out to her i tpold her ;
and i told her to put them back in moms hand bag and put them up safely as they are a treasure
but my son as a machine that can take a copy of the pictures straight from the oringinal so i will take my oldest son to my
sisters to get the pictures if she is going to agree with it
i can not see why she will refuse as i am helping her with or should i say about our grand parents history she his putting together
she is asking me all about the family history as she does not know any think she was 12 months old when our father died
and she never seen our grand parents never yet ever seen them in her life they are just names she as heard snippetts of information and thats about all about the jelfs family; but any way wendy ; i will travel up to brum next week and asked her to arrange for her to try and get them out of the loft a week later so i can take my son to her house she as not seen my son since he was young and now he his in his thirtys
have a nice day wendy ; best wishes astonian ; alan

Alan that would be wonderful I do hope your sister lets your son scan them. Hoping to see these lovely photo's soon. Take care Wendy.

HI CEARNEGIANT AND WENDY
I have seen the old sid in afew things in his old and youth days but i did not knew he came and born in osbourne rd spark brook
but i think he openened up a commedy and acting house ; or should i say a little house on the moseley rd about two hundred yards from the old mosely rd swimming baths way back in thelater period of his life or was it his famil whom openened it up and i recall this propert
standing empty for many a years i can recall my grand father and mother used to mention him afew times in my early days
my grand mother andmother was connectioned to thearter days andi have mentioned afew times in my early days of joining the forum
about him and wee georgie wood and the late billy cotton all used to associated together and they all used to travel abroad together
for a holidays my sister haskept alot of old photos with billy and georgie and i think one was sid all together enjoying them selves
my youngest sister whom has them asked me whom they was and i had to point them out to her each indivisual one
billy and georgie and sid with his glasses
best wishes astonian
I lived in Roderick Road ( 9 ) until the Germans arrived one night and we where bombed out, Sid's child was looked after by the same person who looked after my brother from time to time, there house was just missed by a land mine not like the houses further up towards the Warwick road.

Back