• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shustoke & Surrounding Area

dav19390

master brummie
This post results from my reading an old thread about the Griffin Inn at Shustoke. My father used to visit this pub frequently around 1960-70(although he did not live locally).
One of the regulars at the pub was a man called Harry Vincent, who became friendly with my father. When my father died, I discovered an old exercise book amongst his effects which was labelled "Harry Vincent Book". I do not know how it came into my father's possession.
It seems that the book was originally owned by Gwendoline Barwick around the early 1900's and looks as though it contained writings and poems by her in her own hand.
At some time after 1935, it seems that Harry commandeered the book and started making it into a scrapbook of postcards and clippings from a magazine or newspaper about the history of Maxtoke, Shustoke and the surrounding area. Unfortunately, he pasted these over Gwendoline's writing, completely obliterating it. Large sections of the clippings are to do with 17th Century Sir William Dugdale and the progression of his family in later years.
Because there was some interest sparked in the Griffin Inn thread, I agreed to post some scans from the book which are attached. If anyone is interested in reading further, there are about 15 further pages of text like the ones shown and I would happy to forward them to anyone if they PM me.
The last attachment is the one and only poem that remains written by the original owner of the book.
I hope that there is something of interest in these for someone.
Because I cannot seem to attach more than 5 attachments to one posting, I will send another one behind this with more pictures.

What a wonderful piece of information and History. I bet Loisand will love the picture of the Mill. The poem was lovely so of the time! Dave thanks for taking the time to post this for us:)

What a superb find, I hope you don't mind but I have copied the picture of the mill. I would imagine that the Coleshill History Society would be very interested in reading what you have, especially John Hayfield who has wrote many books on Coleshill, Shustoke etc. Well done :)

Back