• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shops on High Street in the City.

A sad photo realy, showing the demolition of Henrys, i used go and see Santa there.

Image7_The_demolition_of_Henrys_High_Street.jpg

Regards Stars

Two views from the Shoothill collection if the business premises of William Pearsall, Silversmith and Electroplater (late Horton's) at 29 High Street. They show the entrance to the shop and the entrance to Court House Yard. One image is undated but the later 1900 image announces the removal of the business to No. 9 New Street. Can't quite visualise where this business would have been in High Street, can anyone help please? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
There are some really interesting photos in the thread. I didn't know that the Co-Op had a chldren's hairdressing salon! I've been trying to remember the shop. The Food Hall is quite clear, and the dry cleaning place with the rail that went round. Once some relatives took me to the restaurant, which I think was down some stairs that didn't quite seem to belong to the shop. The other departments are hazy; all I can recall is that there were alcoves or arches in the area that sold ladies' clothes.

maria

Hi Maria, I confirm there was a children's hairdressing department at the Co-op, High Street, my son (now aged 56) had his first haircut there and I have a certificate they gave me, he was really naughty wriggling about and it took about 3 girls to quieten him down I was so embarassed.

Hi Maria, I confirm there was a children's hairdressing department at the Co-op, High Street, my son (now aged 56) had his first haircut there and I have a certificate they gave me, he was really naughty wriggling about and it took about 3 girls to quieten him down I was so embarassed.

I was taken to Lewis's for haircuts, and I can remember it very vaguely. There must have been parts of the Co-Op I never saw!

This 1937 advert seems to suggest that the Birmingham Co-op was located on both sides of the High Street. Is this true and was that still the case post-war? Dave.
P1020529 (2).jpg

Yes and Yes. In the 60s the two halves were connected by a tunnel that ran under the High Street. I remember it was a good way to avoid the rain.

Yes i remember the Tunnel under the road, i may be wrong but one side was the supermarket , the other side was household, clothes, etc remember buying my first pair of football boots with my saved up Penny's, sixpences, threpneebits, cosy about 15 shillings black molded plastic high ankle style

pmc1947 I worked at Times Furnishings in the middle 60s. It was great fun. They used to have a tannoy system to call people to the telephone or put an advert over stating offers that might be available in the Carpet Department. On the 2nd floor was Willougbys the tailors where I bought my first brown suede coat (paid weekly) - very mod at the time. On the top floor was the canteen where there was always laughing going on. Gplan furniture was very popular at the time. We used to have one Saturday off and then the following week you have Saturday and Monday off. My ex husband (then my boyfriend) used to stand on the opposite corner waiting for me on the Saturday lunchtime when I was working and we used to go down to The Royal for a drink. The Head Office was in London. Great fun and excuse the pun - great times.
I worked at Times Furnishings opposite the bull ring from 1972 to 73, short-lived when I was only 18/19, trainees in sales, I used to buy records and listen to them instead of working, I remember a salesman called Mr Dixey, was good fun and no regrets even though I was fired.

Back