• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shops in Chester road including scotfords

shady

master brummie
Does anyone remember the shop scotfords on the chester road kingshurst??

When I was a youngster remember mom writing an order each week in a red note book. Some one would collect the order then at the end of the week the grocerys would be delivered. This was before or about the time the first shops were being built on kingshurst.:)

I remember Scotford Stores on Chester Road.
I also remember the row of pre-fab shops on Marston Drive before The parade was built.
Then there was Gilbert Rhodes (‘Gillie’ Rhodes) who had an old coach that was converted into a mobile shop from which he sold groceries around Kingshurst.

Does anyone remember the shop scotfords on the chester road kingshurst??

When I was a youngster remember mom writing an order each week in a red note book. Some one would collect the order then at the end of the week the grocerys would be delivered. This was before or about the time the first shops were being built on kingshurst.:)
I stood many a cold morning oppposite Scotsford Stores waiting for school bus to Coleshill Grammar School,about 1962ish.

NOT JUST SCOTFORDS!!!!!
Does anyone remember Lynns Candy Cabin there were 2 shops not at the same time (they moved onto larger premises)..there was also an APT shop ..record shop (cant remember the name)..an MEB Shop where the chemist is now..This was all at the parade kingshurst. And believe it or not there used to be a Foster Brothers.

What about Dr Cranston , Dr Foster and Nurse Harrison????

Oh and Lynns Candy Cabin used to open on a Sunday for a few hours used to get lovely toffee and chocolate from there.

Just remembered another one Dorothys (clothes shop) got school uniform from there. This would be in the 60's or there about.

Shady

I'm a Kingshurst kid originally, Mum still lives in the house I was born in.
My memories of The Parade are:
Where Dillons is now, used to be "Lynns Candy Cabin" before the cafe etc.
Next to that was a wallpaper shop, what was the frozen food shop after it was the green grocer was a launderette. In that alcove was a glass display with the latest album covers in that belonged to the next shop which was Moss'es Electrical and Record shop, next to that was the Our Cellar off licence with Foster Brothers on the end.
Opposite I can remember Paynes shoe shop, Dillons, a clothes/wool shop, butchers, bookies, a chemist and on the end was the MEB shop. Around the corner I remember was the optician, a cake/bread shop Wrights?), butchers, cant remember what the now greengrocers was, Braggs cakes/bread shop, cant remember what was next to that, then another wool shop,with VG in the corner. Next to that was the hardware shop (I can still smell the Esso Blue!), Post Office and shoe shop at the end (Terry's). Then, where the post box is there was also a telephone box. Next shop was and still is CO-OP, then there was the CO-OP green grocers, a kids clothes and nik-nak shop (was that Judge's?) and the barbers shop where Mick had a terrible twitch as my ears can still remember! Later around the coner was also a fishing tackle shop joined to the barbers.
In the part where the library is is the same with the dentist opposite. But, there was a doorway next to it which lead upstairs to another bookie.
The taxi office is where the Midland Bank used to be.
I was born near to the Parade in 1961 and these are the shops as I remember them.

There was also a pre-fabricated concrete bus shelter which was later knocked down and replaced by a brick one.

I can remember the wall around the Mountford Pub. I can also remember the Army having a recruiting day on the car park, with armoured vehicles and a tank on display.
Opposite the pub was Bunnies Plaice, then there was a long display window leading back up to Foster Brothers.

ALSO....
I'm pretty sure that the correct spelling was/is STOTFORD STORES.

Definitely remember it as 'Scotfords', as when coming home by bus from "Town" if we missed the 160 (Kingshurst bus) we could catch the 168 (Coleshill bus) and get off a Scotfords on the Chester Road and then walk down Overgreen Drive to get home.
I also seem to remember that by the late 70's there was a car accessory shop either in the same place or next door... Does that ring any bells with anyone?

My brother worked at Lynne's Candy Cabin at weekends about 1964, we lived in Overgreen Drive and both of us went to Coleshill Grammar. He seemed to spend all his wages on chocolate and the rest of us were always jealous because he didn't give us any. I used to go to Scotfords every morning to the little paper shop next door and above was a hairdressers called Carol Ann where I had a DA cut. Last time I was there about 7 years ago, it was a car parts shop. My school friend got killed on the Chester Road about 1961 crossing over to Scotfords one lunchtime. I believe she was fetching some cardboard boxes for the Brownies and was hit by a lorry. Her name was Pamela Stone, such a tragedy.

Back