• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shopgirls (BBC, 8th July)

Maria Magenta

master brummie
The air raid shelters beneath John Lewis during the war were featured. I wondered if there was anything similar under, say, Lewis's?

I was a bit annoyed that Dr Pamela Cox stuck to London shops, but I suppose there's more footage. She also covered the war work that the shop girls did - first aid training, putting out fires, and so on.

It was fascinating.

maria

I don't know about air raid shelters for Birmingham shops but my cousin told me about the one under the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
We were annoyed that she only spoke about London shops too!
rosie.

I don't know about air raid shelters for Birmingham shops but my cousin told me about the one under the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
We were annoyed that she only spoke about London shops too!
rosie.

Thanks, rosie. That's something to pursue.

Thinking about it, there must be film footage of other cities (what about Liverpool, never mind Birmingham and Coventry).

I hoped she might mention Lewis's!

maria

It worked for me Maria, thanks for posting it. I've bookmarked it for a better look later.
rosie.

Back