• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

Thank You Glenny’s for taking the time and the help in searching and for the contact details, I will be sure to send them an email. Thank ypu also to Astoness, I think i will order a couple as one died a week later, fingers crossed it will shed some light.

Hi Betty, there are quite a few child graves in St Giles church yard, most are on the right hand side of the path as you enter from the front gates, my aunt who I never met died in a road accident aged 7 as was buried in a triple plot which is where my Nan and grandad now lay in peace, lots of the head stones are readable even though they are well over a 100 years old, they are obvious by the size of the plots, St Giles church yard is a lovely peaceful place, we had my moms ashes put into the grave when she passed away 18 months ago,

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me? My 2nd Grandaunt had 10 children in total, it appears that four died within a week of each other. They are buried in Sheldon and three died on March 10th 1886 and the other a week later on March 17th. The children Alfred George aged 5, Alice Winifred aged 4, Caroline Maud aged 2.5 and Edwin just under 2. Their parents were George and Hannah England. I am trying to find out what happened to these poor children but all I can find is that there was a tragic accident but no record. Any one have any ideas?
Have found death notice but nothing else so far.

Coleshill Chronicle - Saturday 13 March 1886.JPG
Coleshill Chronicle - Saturday 20 March 1886.JPG

Thank you so much for your time in searching Janice, I really appreciate it. Also thank you Andrew, I will have to take a trip over to the churchyard one day see if I can find them.

Evening Janice,

Yes I have finally ordered two of the four death certificates. Alfred George (5) had bronchitis for 5 days and Edwin (1yr 10m) bronchitis for 10 days. I wonder if it was bronchitis or a similar virus harmful to children? So doesn’t appear to be a tragic accident!

hi betty could i ask where you found out that the childrens deaths were due to a tragic accident...certainly the 2 death certs you have do not indicate this and could explain why we cant seem to find any newspapers reports of an accident..

lyn

Hi Lyn,

I have attached the search I did and the results. This is what led me to believe something tragic had happened such as house fire or burning etc.
I am guessing as it was March it was probably damp, cold conditions and awful environments that they lived in. I have searched for epidemics or pandemics around that year and doesn’t seem like much about. They did have other children at the time so guessing they were either stronger or it didn’t affect the older ages as with many viruses now a days.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.jpeg
    IMG_4327.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
thanks betty so it did not exactly say it was an accident ..in this case you are most likely correct in thinking cause of death due to very poor living conditions...alas this was all to common in those days...very very sad for the family to cope with

lyn

Yes so very said, I’ve had ancestors where the parents have lost a child and the father’s brother within hours of each other from seizures (probably a viral infection). I’ve had a child die from burning, others with rickets but they have mainly been isolated cases. I’ve not known so many children from one family to die so close together.

Yes so very said, I’ve had ancestors where the parents have lost a child and the father’s brother within hours of each other from seizures (probably a viral infection). I’ve had a child die from burning, others with rickets but they have mainly been isolated cases. I’ve not known so many children from one family to die so close together.
cant say as i have ever seen that either although i have seen 1911 census years where it says 10 children born only 2 or 3 living...my gt grandmother died age 28 my gt grandfather was present at death but the next day he died age 32 both from different causes leaving 3 young orphan girls..this was in 1908..thank goodness we have come a long way medically since then

lyn

Back