• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

Like everyone else I think the photos are great. It's all part of our past that is mostly memories these days.
Now I have a question that is not quite Sheldon but not far off. My memory recalls "The Swan" at Yardley.
Travelling into Birmingham, on the left was Arthur Painter - Funeral Director and next to him if I recall, the Library.
On the oposite corner the Rover Dealership Colliers and was there not a Corporation Bus Shed next to Colliers?
Now if one turns left off Coventry Road and travels 2 or 3 hundred yards, I seem to recall a Garage and I think it
was called "Jauncey's". Anyone remember this and does the family owned business still exist?

OldBrummie

Hi OldBrummie
Here are a few photo's of the area you speak of. You can see Colliers
clearly on this first one. I hope these may help you. This first one is early 50s

Yardley2C_Swan_roundabout_early_50s_B.jpg

Dated 1915
Image6Yardley_Tram_Terminus_1915_z.jpg

Dated 1915 BMC was to the left of the tram before becoming Colliers in 1927
Image5_Yardley_Tram_Terminus_z.jpg

Dated 1938
Image3Corner_Coventry_Rd___Colliers_z.jpg

Regards Stars

nnn.jpeg
What used to be the City Boundary, Coventry Road junction with Arden Oak Road in 1950.

Hi Dave yes the boundary is still in the same place, just past the Arden oak pub (now an Harvester) going towards Coventry.

Hello Dave, when I said "used to be" it was just a figure of speech.

keegs, Thank you for sharing your great picture, I'm thinking that this is the BP garage in the middle of the Coventry Road, taken before the houses were built on the hill in the background which is roughly opposite where I live.

What happened to the Three Horseshoes? Use to get pis---d there on rum and aniseeds John Crump OldBrit Parker,Co USA

Hi Lindylou
The photo #270 the garage. Would that be where Burgess and Garfield used to be ?, also there was a pub in the middle,
i can't remember the name of it.

Stars

I worked at a garage in Sheldon heath road, and we used to have our Ford spares from the said garage.
They used to have dark blue almost black Anglia vans,it was attached to the wirlwing petrol station.
regards dereklcg

Hi Lindylou
The photo #270 the garage. Would that be where Burgess and Garfield used to be ?, also there was a pub in the middle,
i can't remember the name of it.

Stars

Hi stars, I recognise the name of Burgess and Garfield but I cant remember where from.
There were originally two Petrol Stations on that stretch of land inbetween the Coventry Road and the New Coventry Road, one at either end. The one closest to where the Sheldon Picture House was, stood just in front of The Wagon and Horses which must be the pub you are thinking about. The Wagon stood empty for quite sometime and eventually some bright spark set fire to it. The site was cleared and an Aldi now occupies the site where the Petrol Station and The Wagon were.
Further up towards the other Petrol Station (which was called the Whirlwind ..by the Brays Road/Cov Road junction) there was a business called Glynwed at one time and there is a BT Exchange there.

I think the photo is of the Whirlwind which is now a BP station.

Hi Lindyloo
Yes that was the pub.
I think the first garage in the center was a Fina garage, named the Wirlwind, then the pub and then Burgess and Garfield, i used to work at Burgess and Garfield for a while
Then for Sheldon motors a bit further down towards the Wheatsheaf, There was Morgan Motors one side of the road and Sheldon Motors opp. Also Dereklcg would that garage
you mention be The Radleys Service station, next to the Cabin pub. There were 2 garages on the Radleys, one at the top and one on the corner of Mackadown Lane.

Hi Carolina.
I was there about 1966. I remember a guy called Phil who had a red corsair.
I don't know if it would be your sister in law at that time, but i do recall a Pam who worked on the pumps.

Stars

Stars she was definitely in the office after 1964 she would have been Taylor. She lived 1900 Coventry Road which was just as the road split into two. There was a pub near to B&G where the wedding reception was held but I cant think of the name of it on the Coventry Road

stars and carolina, I'm getting confused as to which end B&G was...but carolina your sister would possibly have known my Sister-in-law and her family as they lived close to 1900 and I live there now, opposite the exit from the Whirlwind.
Nearby Pubs would have been The Good Companions heading towards Birmingham or The Wagon and Horses opposite Barrows Lane, The Three Horseshoes across the road from where the cinema stood or The Wheatsheaf.

Back