• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shakespeare Inn, Stratford Road

wessex

master brummie
The Shakespeare - Sparkbrook

Old favourite,been around years.Seems to have had a clean up,some paint,and is now also trading as a hotel.

Attachments

• Shakespeare Sparkbrook.jpg
    Shakespeare Sparkbrook.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 25
Hi there everyone,
Simon ''The Token Man'' here again.

Yet again I have struck it lucky with getting my hands on a Birmingham Pub Token, this time the Shakespeare Inn on Stratford Road. It is a 3d token with the Holt Brewery Co named on the back on the token. No landlords name to pin a date to but as I believe the Holt Brewery got taken over by Ansells at the end of WWII, I am assuming that this token, being in the style of others I have already sold, would date around to perhaps the early 1920's??
Am posting this at work at present, so when I get home this evening, I will put up some photos onto this thread.
If anyone is interested in this token, please message me.

Regards
Simon, in sunny Suffolk!!!

once again thanks for thinking of us birmingham folk simon..still keeping everything crossed for the ones i am after

lyn

A good photo by D.J. Norton, shown in another Stratford Road thread by Old Mohawk. (post 134).

Edited: I thought this photo was the last days of the city's trams and the tram was heading to Kyotts Lake Road for scrapping. Perusing the D.J. Norton web site confirms it as 4th. July 1953. A good day in the United States but a sad day for many in Birmingham's tramcar afficionados.

Last edited:
shame to see the pubs go down mort but at least its still standing...for how long is anyones guess...nice photo of it in its former glory alan

lyn

View attachment 134194
A good photo by D.J. Norton, shown in another Stratford Road thread by Old Mohawk. (post 134).

Edited: I thought this photo was the last days of the city's trams and the tram was heading to Kyotts Lake Road for scrapping. Perusing the D.J. Norton web site confirms it as 4th. July 1953. A good day in the United States but a sad day for many in Birmingham's tramcar afficionados.

The post at #5 was the Shakespeare that I remember, although it was a bit grotty due to the road grime that got thrown at it as traffic trundled through the Ferodo bridge. Most of that area was my playground in the mid- late fifties. Trams had gone by then and I have no memory of the tracks either, Me and my brother used to freewheel on our bikes down the pathway under the bridge on the left handside of the picture, just hidden by the lamp post,

We used to play in the bus shelter in kyotts Lake Rd and hiding on the bus we were chased out by the bus inspector we ran down Port Hope Rd...
My mother used to clean for a man on the corner of Kyotts Lake Road and Grafton Road. While growing up I always wondered where they find such exotic names like Kyotts Lake Road, Kyrwicks Lane and Erasmus Road.

My brother David and his friend Frank Salt made a trolley and used to get me to push them up Camp hill under the bridge and then from Grammar School they raced down and usually came to a crash landing outside the Shakespear Pub luckily nobody was injured Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Looking at the posts #1 & #8 it goes to show how a magnificent building can be desecrated in such a short space of time in the name of fashion. Dave

I dont think the Shakespear Pub looks anything like a Hotel!!! it looks like it's Condemned and boarded up!!! Shame :-(

Back