• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Severne Road, Acocks Green.

S

Stitcher

Did anyone else start at Severne Rd Infants 1945 or Pitmaston Rd Secondary Modern in 1951?

hi stitcher,spoke to my brother harold yesterday and he asked me to say margaret thomas was his first girlfriend.i started in miss greens class at severne rd and she was a tarter.She must have been around 65 then and was very strict,used to rap your knuckles with the edge of a ruler, She wouldnt let you go the loo either which is not a good idea with small boys.i started there in 1946.i remember your brothers but did you have a sister too.?

Chinny, I too remember miss green for the same reasons you do. I did have a younger sister but she was diagnosed with Rhumatoid Arthritis. When she was 2 she was taken into The Childrens Hospital for a long long time. Then she went to a Convalescant home/school at Bournmouth, the another one in Rutland, by now I had a m/bike and used to visit her on it while mom and/or dad went on the train or bus. Then she was sent to St Cuthberts in Malvern and she came home when she was 14 and did the last year at Hartfield Crescent, which as you know became Ninestiles. When she left she got a job with dad at the Brooke Tool factory in Greet. She never found any happiness and had a dreaful life really. Sadly she died when she was 49.

Chinny, I too remember miss green for the same reasons you do. I did have a younger sister but she was diagnosed with Rhumatoid Arthritis. When she was 2 she was taken into The Childrens Hospital for a long long time. Then she went to a Convalescant home/school at Bournmouth, the another one in Rutland, by now I had a m/bike and used to visit her on it while mom and/or dad went on the train or bus. Then she was sent to St Cuthberts in Malvern and she came home when she was 14 and did the last year at Hartfield Crescent, which as you know became Ninestiles. When she left she got a job with dad at the Brooke Tool factory in Greet. She never found any happiness and had a dreaful life really. Sadly she died when she was 49.
Hi Stitcher did by any chance your sister have brothers by the name of Barry (Hoss) Trevor and Roger.

To all on Severne Rd I am going to try and post a photo of severne rd school football team taken 1953/54 0r 55 I just hope it works if so some of the names on it that I remember are top 2nd from left Alan Clark, 4th from left Stan Johnson bottom 1st left John Onions 3rd from left Alan Longstaff 5th from left Alan Turnbull and far right Brian Dethridge forgiv me if the photo doesn't postView attachment Junior Football Team 14-12-2011 13-29-50 2048x1312.jpg

Hi Stitcher if your sister is the same person that I think it was I am so sorry to hear that she had such a bad life and died so young I remember her well always had a big smile on her face does the name Barry Ward (Bambie) mean anything to you if so I have got the right person. I have posted a photo of the school football team but this might have been a few years after you were there. I remember when I used to help the co-op milkman your mom on a saturday cooked all three of us roast dinner. If you click on the photo it enlarges but you probebly already know that I am not trying to tell my granny how to suck eggs. Your dad was a toolmaker at Brook Tool.

Back