• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Severn valley railway.

If you take your children or grandchildren you must stop off at the harbour to see their goats and ducks etc. A lovely place to be even in the winter. Jean.

Yes Jean its a bout time they sorted them grounds out and get it back to the way it was ..........I must say A big Thank you to the owners :)
Lets hope they are protected from them dreaded foxes which pray
there for their supper every night .
ragga :)

Ragga they are brought in every night. The chickens were rescued from a battery farm and you wouldn't have recognised them when they first had them. The owners are on the forum under Mrs. Sandra Cooke. Bye. Jean.

Yes GG ........ I must get down to Highley to see this footbridge myself
I got the piccy from off the SVR Forum ,the footbridge will be good
for the photographer :), I must visit the musuem aswell .
you say the owner of the Harbour is a member on BHW .. what is
her name on here ?? i do know of her she has blonde hair and i
think curly too .
ragga :)

Ragga that's correct. She is on as Mrs Sandra Cook. She has had problems with the internet and this summer has been very busy. She does have blond curly hair and if you look at their web site you will see her on there. Bye. Jean.

hi jean
how are you and pete fine i hope ;
just wanted to say thanks for that info;
so now when i go down ; i will spot her straight away
with out walking in and asking for the lady of the house
but i there say going bythe previous pic her features has not changed so when i am back from holidays next week
in about a fort night i will pop in and see her
i thought it was where i thought it was
twenty mins from me thanks jean for contacting me
may be will all meet up soon that will be great
well jean i have got to shoot off now to meet the dutchess
probaly skint now and spent all our holiday money
oh well thats womem for ya . spend spend ,,,
have a nice day jean and give my regards to pete ,
best wishes astonion ;;

hHi just thought I would let you know that the Tornado [steam train] is running on Severn Valley railway until the Friday. It will be running twice a day from Kidderminst station at 11 and 3 oclock. Petes brother went to watch it yesterday at Arley station and it's another excuse to pop in for a tipple or cream teas over the other side of the river. Bye. Jean.

We went to see the tornado today,what a piece of engineering.
We were in bewdley caught it before lunch, and as it came back through bewdley after fish and chips by the river and a couple in the george nice day out got up early got the bus in redditch,to kiddie then to bewdley was able to drink and as i was,nt driving..
Regards dereklcg..

Nice pics there Derek. Glad you had a good day out. No doubt your weather was better than mine. Up here it rained all day, and I was working in it till 8pm. Glad you enjoyed yourself though. Regards, Barry.

Dek wished we'd known as we were in Bewdley too and had fish and chips. B....y luvverly. We could have met up. Baz I asked the station master at Arley and about two dozen gents who have worked the railway for years but none of them can remember your George. One more place to go and that is Bewdley where they have the records of all the staff. Found out that Allen Pete's old mucka is now the station master there. Last resort and fingers crossed. (Mrs Marples). Jean.

Dek wished we'd known as we were in Bewdley too and had fish and chips. B....y luvverly. We could have met up. Baz I asked the station master at Arley and about two dozen gents who have worked the railway for years but none of them can remember your George. One more place to go and that is Bewdley where they have the records of all the staff. Found out that Allen Pete's old mucka is now the station master there. Last resort and fingers crossed. (Mrs Marples). Jean.

Nobody knows where you are Jean send a IM next time:(

Put our photo's on in a bit. Just had a lovely natter with Jennyann thanks to Wendy so she knows where we are:D:D. Jean.

We are lucky enough to have a static van at Arley Astonite and our friends own the Harbour Inn. Going down for five days from Monday so Pete can get some fishing in. Might do a bit myself but on the carp pool not the river. Must visit the museum at Highly not been yet. Too many other things to do and we keep putting it off. Did you visit any of the local pubs?. Jean.

Next time you having a drink at the 'Harbour' have a look-see at the photograph of the old Ferry; it used to be, if I recall correctly, near one of the windows in the bar area.....two young lads helping Bert, the Boatman or was it 'Fred'? I'm the gormless-looking one on the right, the t'other is my cousin Duncan! :D

Hi Lloyd
I am in the process of getting another book published on Arley (including views from Button Oak to Shatterford) I have previously had one published entitled 'The Severn Valley Railway at Arley' which is now out of print. Your photograph of the ferry is quite rare as most of the pictures show the ferry on the opposite side of the river (Village side). Would it be possible to obtain a print? I may just about have enough time to include the picture as I am hoping the book will be out before Christmas.
Barrie Geens

Hi Lloyd
I am in the process of getting another book published on Arley (including views from Button Oak to Shatterford) I have previously had one published entitled 'The Severn Valley Railway at Arley' which is now out of print. Your photograph of the ferry is quite rare as most of the pictures show the ferry on the opposite side of the river (Village side). Would it be possible to obtain a print? I may just about have enough time to include the picture as I am hoping the book will be out before Christmas.
Barrie Geens
Barrie you will find them Pictures in the Harbour Pub, I knew one of the chaps that replaced the ferry with the bridge by the name of Albert Goode, sadly long gone. That bridge was built by a Birmingham company and workers. regards Bill Pearson...

Hi Bill long time no hear. Pipped you to it I have been in touch with Sandra [last night] and Barrie is going to contact her today. The son of the Ferry man mentioned drinks in the Harbour and so does his daghter. Sandra has many more photo's in a box too. One of the builders of the bridge is on Bank farm and he told me of the day he dropped his tools in the River and are probably there to this day. Take care. Jean.

I can't recall the name of the bridge, but I used to love to cling to the lower gallery stanchions when the train crossed over the River Severn towards Arley - it was a thunderous racket!

Hi JohnO it is the Victoria Bridge. We go under there for a walk when we are feeling fit. That is close to where the Seckley Beech used to be. Do you remember it with it's many trunks?. Jean.

Back