• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Self Portrait

cookie273uk

master brummie
normal_Self_Portrait.JPG
An attempt at a self portrait, at first I tried looking through a mirror then realised everything would be in reverse, so used a pic my sister in law Edna took when we were in Egypt on a Nile cruise M ay 2006. Self portraits are difficult because the artist sees him/herself different to what the viewer sees him, and visa versa

Last edited:
hi eric and wow...thats is a brilliant likeness..wonderful:) i agree with wendy that it would make a great avatar...

lyn...:)

Thanks for kind comments, I found it fairly easy, only took an hour and am reasonably pleased, will frame it and give it to my daughter. Cannot change my avatar, my present one gives me fond memories of my time as a wireless operator on the last Lancaster squadron (82PR) in the RAF circa 1949/51. I am sitting on an engine of the Lancaster which is now in the RAF memorial flight . In any case I already use it as my profile pic. Eric

Last edited:
Rupert, by all means make a copy I'll consider that as a compliment. Trouble with self portraits is keeping to the likeness and not flattering oneself, this of course appliies to painting other people as well. Honesty is paramount. You must paint what you see (warts an' all) and not what you THINK you see. Eric

Last edited:
brilliant Eric, that is only one of a few I have seen that you have done and they have all been 'Top Notch' well done...

Hello Eric, I think your artwork is excellent and the colours in the self-portrait are very attractive too. I am sure your daughter will be delighted with the picture.

Sorry I missed joining in with the other Forum members to send you Birthday greetings - I hope you enjoyed your day. Anthea.

Back