• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

That 3rd Pic of St Martins. a very high view, I wonder where it was taken from ??? Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
The double decker bus seems to be old even then. I would hazzard a guess at early thirties/late twenties...6:35 in the afternoon.

Can anyone help the other day there was a picture on this site of the projection room of a cinema I think in Kings Heath,I would like to find it please

Birmingham@night .......... ragga ........

Attachments

• City Bull Ring at night.jpg
    City Bull Ring at night.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 17
  • City Corporation St Christmas Lights.JPG
    City Corporation St Christmas Lights.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 16
Does anyone know what the domed building at the top right of the picture is? its now the Virgin corner of The Square Shopping Centre (formerly Priory Square, formerly Corporation Square) - also has anyone got any pictures of the shoppng centre in the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's? thank you

Sorry Maggs just notice your question , the first one with the xmas lights was 1960
second one maybe early 1970s ..........
ragga .....

Its the picture on page 4 which show the Lewis' building and opposite on the corner is a building with a dome on the roof. Its of the are that the Corporation Square Shopping Centre was built on (in lower Bull Street opposite the Martineau Place site). We are researching the history of the shopping centre which was designed by Frederick Gibberd in the early 1960's. There doesnt appear to be many pictures of this area during the years, even at the Central Library.

We know that there was a Beehive Department Store where Argos is now and Keane & Scott on the corner of Corporation Street/Priory Queensway - any information would be great.

Ross

I'm not quite sure what photo you are talking about, but are we in Old Square and is the building you are describing Newbury's Department Store?

Phil

I thought the Beehive was in Albert Street, which is not where Argos is now (unless they have move Argos since I last went into Birmingham!). The last time I looked Argos was on the site of Lower Priory.

Ross

can you give the number of the post, its on the horizontal band that runs along the top of the post with the date on it, its on the right.

Phil

Phil I think the post Ross is on about looks like the building is on the corner of Union St. Dek

Dek

Are we talking about this building at the junction of Bull St & Corporation St?

Phil

98e74036.jpg

Phil that looks like the same building the other photo is deceptive it looks much closer to New St. Dek

Re post 1438 I remember the Beehive Store moving from Moor Street when the new shopping centre was built in Priory Circus, it wasn't a successful move, and although I can't remember the dates, I believe the next occupants were Tesco non-food store, Tesco were definitely there late 70s/early 80s then it went to Argos. Across the opening towards the square where Oasis is, was the Cabin, and then Kean & Scott on the corner opposite Lewis'
where the Tony Hancock statue is.

Have spent ages looking at this thread-just found it! Thankyou for all who contributed to it, it's brilliant

zzz.jpegThank you carolina, here is a similar view in 1981.

Hello Paul, I have had many of them for a number of years and I am de-cluttering, in fact I have been rumaging and sorting for some time now. I aquired them because of an interest in past times and in the city itself. When I was a tour guide for Birmingham I was also a Hackney Carriage driver and on the way into the City with a buisinessman from the airport, a comment about a toll gate at Digbeth would secure a full days work showing him around the city before he left again. That would also lead to another full day on his next visit showing him the River Rea and its winding course through Birmingham.

Back