• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Security

GEFF

Geff
Have just down loaded "Microsoft Security Essentials" but cannot find how to bring it onto the screen, what icon should I look for. I would like to know if I have done it properly. Do I need another Anti Virus security as well?
I have a Windows 7 Laptop and an XP do I have to notify anyone that I use both of them, and will the Secruity I have just installed work on both? I have a big screen with the XP which I find usefull for some viewing. Advice would be welcomed. Geff

Hi - You can load 'Microsoft Security Essentials' on to each machine. Re the Anti Virus - Whilst I do not use MSE other than the Firewall it gets pretty good ratings. Never have more than one AV program on a PC as they can cause conflict or false warnings.

Will find out how to find it and get back.

Gef

The icon you are looking for in Windows 7 is this, it’s the one left of and slightly below the message saying ‘PC status: Protected’ . Looks a bit like a tent with a tick on it.

MSE.jpg

You do not need any other antivirus (opinions of others may of course differ).

You can use it on any number of computers that have a registered copy of Windows on them. However make sure you download the correct version for each computer. I am not sure if there is an XP version of Security essentials, so check the Microsoft site.

Any other questions, please ask.

Have just down loaded "Microsoft Security Essentials" but cannot find how to bring it onto the screen, what icon should I look for.

Are you saying you have downloaded it but cant work out how to install it?

If so then it will have been downloaded into your "Download" folder (on Windows 7 anyway).

Open your Download folder then double click on the icon to start the install.

In XP look at the bottom right of the task bar, there should be a green building with a white tick, right click on it this then click open , this will bring it on to your screen so you can check the status of your computer.

I use Microsoft Security and also SUPERAntiSpyWare, MS updates are set to automatic and I update the other manually every day. MS is set to scan weekly and I scan with the other daily. MS has picked up a couple of virus over the last year or so but SuperAntiSpyWare has picked up and removed more than half a dozen Trojans and endless tracking cookies over the same period (MS failed to find the Trojans and does not find or remove tracking cookies) I also have BT NetProtect Plus which comes free with BT Total Broadband, this rarely detects anything.

Thank you for all the replies to my security question. I have taken the one I know of, AVG, its worked for me before without any trouble so will stick with it. Geff

Back