• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sea cadets Birmingham

The Baron

master brummie
When I was thirteen I joined the sea cadets at Boldmere gate. Every Friday and Sunday morning we took part in activities including sailing and pulling (rowing - not birds) on Powels Pool. Thirty years later as an instructor in the sea cadets in Somerset I took groups of cadets to Sutton sea cadets for canoe training. All three of my children canoed or sailed there and I was full of telling them how I virtually lived in the park as a kid…

Hi your above para; made me look up this Photo taken of our eldest Granson being presented with a Rowing Cup of the Sea Cadets at Powles Pool a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall on my journey to school on the No 11 bus that we passed a Sea Cadet establishment in Acocks Green just down from the Railway station. I thought that was T.S. Vernon or is my memory playing tricks?

TS Dolphin is the old Cadets i was there in the late 60´s early 70´s moved dont know when to Ward End Park´, TS Stirling was /is at Shard End

I was a cadet on TS Leopard in Great Barr. Apparently, TS Vernon were our rivals (so I was told), they were good at all of the marching guard’s and sailing stuff. I did spend a weekend training course with some of the cadets from TS Dolphin, they had a super commando team.

My naval career was quickly sunk once I realised that my expectation of becoming an officer after the first week and admiral by the second in the navy were a little over ambitious.

Back