• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sawsmiths Saw doctors

I forgot about this trade. Brings back memories of the days I used to sharpen my hand and circular saws, turning them, as the guy sharpening the circular saw. I made clamps for mine though, as the noise was considerable if they were loose by the teeth being sharpened.

These images show sawsmiths at work at Atkin & Sons Ltd, Aston. Viv

View attachment 171635View attachment 171632View attachment 171633View attachment 171634View attachment 171636Source: British Newspaper Archive
The Atkin Sawsmith family began their trade in Norton, Derbyshire as Scythe makers in the 16th century. My 8th Great Grandfather was Francis Atkin of "Sickhouse" Norton, a Scythe maker born in 1617. The proximity of Norton to Sheffield meant that his family expanded across into South Yorkshire at an early stage, becoming involved in the growing metal/weapon making industries there before arriving in Aston Juxta Birmingham in the mid 18th century.

I'd be interested in any information on the Atkin & Sons history in Aston/Birmingham if anyone knows anything about it. For example, where it was first set up and what products were being made there.
Many thanks.
Steve

In the 1990s, we bought our son, who was very young at the time, a child's toolkit in a wooden box. When we opened it, the kit contained a REAL saw, but child size. We were horrified as it had an incredibly sharp serated edge, just like a real saw. We made it quickly disappear, and it found its way into the grown-ups toolbox. And it turned out to be the handiest and most reliable little saw we grown-ups ever had.

But what were the manufacturers of those children's tool kits thinking?!

I had one of those saws Viv, probably about 9 when I had it. I still have it for memory sake. Making model planes during the war was my hobby, and working with wood has always been a joy to me

In the 1990s, we bought our son, who was very young at the time, a child's toolkit in a wooden box. When we opened it, the kit contained a REAL saw, but child size. We were horrified as it had an incredibly sharp serated edge, just like a real saw. We made it quickly disappear, and it found its way into the grown-ups toolbox. And it turned out to be the handiest and most reliable little saw we grown-ups ever had.

But what were the manufacturers of those children's tool kits thinking?!
And now you can buy those little saws for big people :)

As a apprentice carpenter i was sharpening my Canadian diston saw on site at Yardley ex servicemans club in the 70s to my horror one of the teeth snapped off because the metal was cold i should have warmed the blade up first i took it to the saw doctors on Bradford st to have the blade recut they did not charge me

Back