• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sawmill Staniforth Street.

Steve39uk

Hi, my Great,great,great,great grandad isaac standley had a sawmill on Staniforth Street. I was wondering if anyone had anymore information on this, or if possible a picture? Thanks.:adoration:

Below is the mentions of steam mills belonging to Standleys in local directories. There appears to have been some renumbering before the last of the entries, as, although in the other entries no number is listed (not uncommon for saw mills) the numbering is different.
1846 Isaac Standley, saw mills Bagot St
1849 Isaac Standley, saw mills Staniforth St
1855 Sarah Standley saw mills , Staniforth St
1862 Samuel Standley steam saw mills 8 Staniforth St
It can be seen that the mill was in Bagot St before moving to Staniforth St
The approximate position of the mills is marked in red on the 1839 map between Potter St and the (un-named on map) Henn St

s_saw_mill_in_Staniforth_St.jpg

Mike, my G Grandfather was a button maker at court 21 Moland Stand also kept the 'Black Boy' pub at 32 Staiforth St, would they be on that map.?

PS this would have been in the 1860's

Last edited:
Lyn
Yes it is balloon st, but this and the Henn St, which is unnamed on the map and which it ran into, were obliterated before the c1889 OS maps, probably sometime in the 1870s, as it is mentioned as an address in the papers in 1870.

Nick
Directories give Henry Nicholls as landlord of the Black Boy in 1862 , with George Underhill 1867-82. I showed the 1839 map for the sawmill as it gave a better indication of its position than the later c1889 map, where Henn st had gone. The Black Boy is better shown on the c 1889 map. I am pretty sure it is the building in red. the only other possibility is the one immediately south of it on the other side of the entry. no 21 is the building in blue

map_c_1889_staniforth_st_showing_no_21_and_probable_position_of_Black_Boy_pub_.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, my Great,great,great,great grandad isaac standley had a sawmill on Staniforth Street. I was wondering if anyone had anymore information on this, or if possible a picture? Thanks.:adoration:

My husband's grandmother was Ellen Standley (parents Samuel and Susannah) from Staniforth Street - I'm having problems tracing her because her name was variously listed as Ellen; Hellenor (Marriage cert to Joseph Hobson) and Hilda (1911 census).
Could be a relation Steve?

I'm sure I just posted this image of Staniforth Street recently, it must have been elsewhere. I'm afraid it doesn't show any of the places asked for, but I though someone might like to see it.

Attachments

• Gosta Green Staniforth St.jpg
    Gosta Green Staniforth St.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 28
thanks mike..unusual name balloon st...i wonder what the origins of that was...

Mike, thanks for the map and info, Henry Nicholls was my G Grandfather, he later moved to the 'Old Peacock' in Gosta Green.

Nick

Mike reference the map on post #5 you said that Henn St was unnamed, I’ve recently discovered My G Grand father J Hately had a pub there in the 1841 census, is there any chance of a look up for him in your directories.

TIA Nick

The 1841 directory lists John Hately just as beer retailer, Staniforth St. however the 1845 and 1850 directories list him as 1 Henn At. In the 1855 directory it is 117 Staniforth st. in the 1858 and 1862 directories 1 Henn St. these are all the same building, on the corner of Staniforth & Henn streets. however in 1867 he is listed as 29 staniforth st, w hich is on the opposite side of Stanniforth St, and in 1867-73 at no 30 (though the numbering was a bit irregular in those days and it is almost certain to be th esame place as that given the year before. This is two doors down from the Black Boy pub (no 32). No 30 and 32 are shown on the map below

map_c_1889_staniforth_st_with_no_32_in_red_and_30_in_green_.jpg

Thanks mike, it explains why Eliza, John Hateley daughter, married Henry Nicholls's son, they were close neighbours

Nick

Back