• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sarah Jones Servant, Hampden Street

jhunter

knowlegable brummie
Trying to find information on Sarah Jones who had a baby called Gladys in 1913. Sarah was a servant to John Willian Aston of Edgbaston Road, Balsall Heath. Gladys was born at 25 Hampden Street home of William Rea family and after was looked after by a Louisa Jane Evans/Millward/Cooper and Amy Stokes/Hindley in Mappleborough. Any information would be great.

Hi , my gt gran was a Ray before she married into my Field family , and her dad was a william ray , can you provide me with any more details of those people , if it is the right william he married a caroline , and they had my gt gran ellen ray......can you check this please.

Thanks for reply, but I think my William Rea married an Emily Jefferies. They had lots of children. But I will double check for you.

Hi again, sorry for delay in getting back to you but busy with Christmas things.
I expect you know that a William Ray married a Caroline Houghton in 1853 in Birmingham and a William Rea married a Caroline Tomkins in Worcester in 1871.
Hope this helps.

Found this birth... not sure if you already have it....!

Birth Sept Qut' 1913
Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Jones Gladys M .........Jones. Kings N... 6d147
(I believe that Balsall Heath was part of Kings N till around this time)

Thanks Pomgolian
I thought that could be her. Now I am wondering whether Sarah would have been allowed to get married in a church at that time,as she had had a baby. or whether it would have been a registrar office??

im excited....tell me more tell me more.....Ellen Ray is my gt gran and she is the daughter of william and caroline Ray.......

Hi
I can't really tell you any more as my William Rea was a different family. You would probably know more if you looked them up in the 1911 census.
I thought researching that surname would be easy but it doesn't appear to be.

Back