• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sanitorium Yardley Rd.

I remember Yardley Green hospital quite well.

I was a child patient for almost 18 months in Yardley Green Hospital, in ward G (side ward) during 1962/63. A few of the nurses I remember are Nurse Wright, Green, and staff nurse Donaghue. My doctor was a silver-haired Scotsman named Dr Ross. We had a teacher who would come to the ward for our schooling.

It was a 6-bed ward for children, adjoining the womens ward, but in the time I spent there I met and made friends with Noreena, Linda and May from the Aston area. Linda's parents had a pub some where off the Lichfield Road. Then there was Janet, Teresa and one or two others, some were only there for a short time, others for longer, like myself. I only wish I could remember their surnames.

If anyone recalls being in Yardley around this time, or know any of the ward staff, I would be interested in hearing from you.

Hello forever young, what a blast from the past i have added to this thread about my wife, and if you back track you,ll find it but the Dr Ross thing brought it all back as well, he was her doctor as well, strange man but fantastic at what he did.
regards dereklcg

My Mom was in that Little Bromwich Fever Hospital in 1929 (aged 4) for 12 months with Scarlet Fever. She said she wasn't allowed to see her Mom & Dad but remembers when she went in, she had a string like necklace around her full of dummies!! She still has this terrible look of sadness when she talks of her time in there without seeing her parents.....she's now nearly 83 bless her.

When on the top deck of bus from the City the patients would wave to us and we would wave back i think it cheered them up and that were they were not forgotten. Len.

Sanatorium Yardley Green
My first job after leaving Saltley Grammar in 1960 was working in the Path Lab at this hospital. It was an old house in the grounds. I had the job of testing all the spits from patients with TB - the stench used to turn my stomach.
Carole Burden (nee Beebee)

I remember it well. If you travelled on the top deck of a Number 15 bus from the Yew Tree into the city you could see all the patients. On nice days they used to wheel the beds outside in neat rows so the patients could get some fresh air. I always understood it to be a TB hospital.

I was admitted to Little Bromwich at the age of 3 with croup. My only memories are being in a steam tent with boiling kettles and in a corridor, several iron lungs that scared the death out of me. No parental visits were allowed until the day of discharge and they even received a letter telling them when they could collect me. I have no idea why the letter was saved but its 56 years old now.

Both of my great aunts and then my aunt were nursed in Arden Lodge when it was an elderly care unit.
You may find more info on the Fever Hospital side on the Heart of England site, if they have an archive section. Will try to contact a friend of mine who worked there to see if he has any more info.
Sue

my grandfather william edward crofts died of T B in april 1940 on hid death cetificate it says he died at city sanitorium yardley green road

Hi ...i worked at yardley green hospital .later called the chest branch of east bham hospital now heartlands. .it was mainly used for t.b. Patients...the little isolation huts were in the grounds...i left in 1968 to have my son ...we all had stringent tests and xrays and vaccinations for our protection....

Anyone ever hear of a Yardley Rd. Sanitorium in Birmingham? I wonder if any employment records exist for 1918? Thanks

I'm also looking for the City Sanitorium in Yardley Green Road, Saltley (I think it was also called Mother & baby Home, Yardley Baby Sanitorium} as I am wondering if any records exist for 1936/37. Have you discovered where the records are?

Hello there! I was a patient in G ward from oct 60 to aug 61, my doctor was also Dr Ross, he used to scare me to death but a brilliant doctor.I remember nurse Daniels,nurse Brown,nurse Sweeny,staff nurse Wright,Sister Monahan,Miss Parker and Miss Young were our teachers.Do you remember Pat Irving? she had TB on here spine and was on a special frame. Remember all those Strep injections with blunt needles! and the awful tasting PAS mint or ribena flavour!
Regards,Pat

I can remember, just before I started work after the Army going with Enid for an appt; at Yardley Green San as she called
it, she had TB some years before, it was her final visit they discharged her, saying she would grow out it which she did.
Anyone who
remembers the smog and air pollution, everyone with coal fires and the local factories belching out smoke and filth can
understand why we had so much chest troubles.The "Clean Air Act" did wonders for Brum. Bernard

Hello there! I was a patient in G ward from oct 60 to aug 61, my doctor was also Dr Ross, he used to scare me to death but a brilliant doctor.I remember nurse Daniels,nurse Brown,nurse Sweeny,staff nurse Wright,Sister Monahan,Miss Parker and Miss Young were our teachers.Do you remember Pat Irving? she had TB on here spine and was on a special frame. Remember all those Strep injections with blunt needles! and the awful tasting PAS mint or ribena flavour!
Regards,Pat
Hello Pat
Thank you for recalling some names and memories I'd forgotten. We must have missed each other by only a few months, I was there from Feb '62 until December '62. And again a few months later for another 3 months. The girl on the spinal plaster bed next to me was named Linda, she was about 12 years old.

Who could forget the medications, especially the egg-sized lumps that appeared after the Strep injections!

Do you remember Norman, the ward orderly/porter. And also the craft lady who brought in the supplies for baskets and other things. I'm blowed if I can remember her name. Do you remember her?

The only teacher I had was Miss Young, I think. Was she the one who wore glasses and bright red lipstick?

I wish I could say they were the good old days, but they weren't.

Thanks for the memories, Regards, Ivy

I can remember, just before I started work after the Army going with Enid for an appt; at Yardley Green San as she called
it, she had TB some years before, it was her final visit they discharged her, saying she would grow out it which she did.
Anyone who
remembers the smog and air pollution, everyone with coal fires and the local factories belching out smoke and filth can
understand why we had so much chest troubles.The "Clean Air Act" did wonders for Brum. Bernard
Remember it well, in the 50s driving? home from Smethwick, My mother had to walk in front of the bloody car with a flash light. Also walking down moat lane in pea soup fog (SMOG) feeling the wall to find my way. Seems Dad started using coke? instead of coal? John Crump OldBrit

Hello Ivy

Thank's for replying so soon, I think it was Mrs Willan who you are thinking of who used to teach us basket making and how to make all the different soft toys. Do you know fifty years on, I still have some of the toys I made.

Miss Young was the teacher who wore bright red lipstick, I wonder what happened to Miss Parker?, as she was really good. We used to pretend to be asleep after rest hour to get out of school work, she used to come in and just sit there it was a shame. Sometimes we used to lock the teachers out as well!
I don't remember Norman, but I do remember Violet who was a ward orderly, she was lovely. I was on strict bed for some time and my bed was on drainage posture because I had a cavity on my right lung which wouldn't close.
Can you remember any names of patients who were in with you? I'm surprised Pat, the girl I mentioned before wasn't still in there with you, as she was quite poorly.
Did Dr Toal still do the ward rounds with Dr Ross?

Kind Regards

Pat

Hi Pat
This is a late reply to a question you asked on your last entry on the forum.
When I went into G ward (side ward) in Feburary 1962 there were only two other girls there. One went home the following day. I can't remember her name I was too sick at the time. I was put next to the other girl who was on a plaster bed, I know she had been quite ill. She was there for most of 1962 having to learn to walk again. It could be the same girl you referred to as Pat, the one I thought was named Linda. We weren't on our own for too long though. In no time the ward was full. There was also a girl who came on to the ward for a short while to finishing her schooling, her name was Janet. She could possibly have been there at the same time as you. With regard to Dr Toal, I'm sorry I don't remember him at all.
Kind Regards, Ivy

My mum, born in 1926, lost her father and one of her brothers to TB when she was 10 and afterwards mum and her older brother had to have a Heaf test (the one on the wrist) to see whether they had been exposed to tuberculosis. Mum was clear, but her brother had to go into Yardley Sanatorium and her mum was only allowed to visit on Sunday afternoons.

Mum says she used to dread Sundays because she would have to wait outside the Sanatorium for 2 hours by some big gates so the gatekeeper could keep his eye on her. I showed her the photo of the Hospital Lodge, Yardley Road, from the link above and she said that was the place she had to wait and she still remembers the gatekeeper looking down at her.

https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files...AMHOSPITAL.htm

Back