• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sandwell School Streetly

Larry Granger

This my first posting on the forum so please bear with me. I read somewhere on the forum about Sandwell School in Streetly. I attended the school from about 1951 until 1955. The school was run by Mr Newton-Hearne and his wife. I have many memories and some photographs if anyone is interested. I left there having passed the 11+ and went on to Handsworth Grammar School. After a couple of years one of the teachers from Sandwell joined the staff at the Grammar School. That was when I was told that the old school had been sold to a property developer. Sure enough when I was down there about two years later a housing estate had appeared. What a shame but that's life. I remember many of my fellow pupils and the teachers but I am not sure whether I am allowed to put their names in a forum. Perhaps someone could advise me. Regards Larry

Welcome to the Forum, Larry. I hope that there will be some members who can fill in the gaps. Yes, please show us the images you have. Mention of names is quite OK provided any comment is made with a bit of delicacy!

My own memories of Sandwell are of an earlier time - 1941-1944 when I was there. My sister must have been a pupil there from very early on, perhaps 1932/33 until around 1943.

Surprisingly there doesn't seem to have been much on the Forum about the school. All that I can find is the briefest of mentions in this thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29917
"Growing up in Streetly in the '60s" - but there may be other comments there which you will find interesting. You may have found it already.

Chris

Last edited:
My school days started in September 1949 when I attended Cranbourne Road School in Kingstanding. In January 1950 we moved to Aldridge and I attended Sandwell School in Streetly. My first class was 'Reception' and the teacher was Miss Bullock. It was then on to 'Transition' and Mrs Bullock. From then on it was up the years. In the 1st year we started to learn to write in Marion Richardson Style and learning our tables. Discipline was quite tough and woe betide you if you didn't learn your tables to the satisfaction of the teacher. At 7 we started to learn French. The fees were 30 guineas a term at the start rising to 40 by the time I left in 1955. My class mates that I can remember were David and Paul Noble, Andrew Morpuss and Colin Bowen. The girls were Wendy T and Jill D ( cannot remember how to spell their surnames) I will attempt to attach a photograph of my fourth year classmates when I have worked out how to do it. The teachers that I remember besides those already mentioned were: Miss Taylor, Mrs Carter, Mademoiselle Jacquette, Mr Jackson and Colonel Gething who started up the Army Cadets.

Last edited:
Having just come into contact with an old classmate, I was curious to read more about our old school days. I was at the school from around 1949-1953. So pleased to read your memories. I remember one class was held at the Newton Hearne's own bungalow. We used to have to walk to and fro in orderly fashion from the school and back along Foley Road. Whether this was to do with shortage of classroom space, we never asked, but it made a very nice interlude. I also remember the extra- curricular activities, to attend extra ballet lessons, extra to the normal fees. A lot of these years from reception to leaving when we moved house have got lost in a blur, so all the more interesting to read names of teachers, which I had mostly forgotten except perhaps Mrs Bullock & Mme Jaquette.

Last edited:
I think I am the Wendy T Larry remembers, my maiden name was Tyskerud Norwegian father) and Jill D was Jill Dvorjetz. The Noble twins were John and David and I also remember Michael Brewer and John James who won a handwriting competition even though he was left handed. The teacher I remember best was Mrs Spencer who lived just up Blackwood Road from the school.

I think I am the Wendy T Larry remembers, my maiden name was Tyskerud Norwegian father) and Jill D was Jill Dvorjetz. The Noble twins were John and David and I also remember Michael Brewer and John James who won a handwriting competition even though he was left handed. The teacher I remember best was Mrs Spencer who lived just up Blackwood Road from the school.

Hello Wendy, (as I remember you from school days)
Good to see your posting on the Sandwell School site! I remember you well from those days. we used to walk across the fields and through the woods to school everyday. I was in a class or so higher. We lived higher up the hill in Bridle Lane. I give that as my location, as a form of recognition, but have worked and live in the Netherlands for tens and tens of years. Interested to read of your French location. If you wish to contact me for old times sake, look at my website: www.weavesbywendy.com. There is a gmail contact on the last page.
Best wishes,
Wendy Doodson-Shirley

Hi Sonja: I was just looking at information on my first school (1955) and noted your comment on Mrs. Spencer. She was one of the most notable teachers that I had as well. Funnily enough I remember her talking about how difficult it was to grow Sweet corn in the UK as the summers just weren't long enough most years. I now live in Pennsylvania where the summers are always long and hot enough to grow wonderful sweet corn. What years were you at Sandwell school - you may have known my sister, Ann Groves, who started there in 1953. She left in 1958 I think and I left in 1960 to go to Aldridge Secondary Modern - funny how life is - I ended up doing a Ph.D. in Physics! So much for the accuracy of the 11+ determining exam.

Hi Wendy: I was just looking at information on my first school (1955) and noted your comment on Mrs. Bullock. She was my first teacher and what a dear she was to me. What years were you at Sandwell school - you may have known my sister, Ann Groves, who started there in 1953. She left in 1958 I think and I left in 1960 to go to Aldridge Secondary Modern - funny how life is - I ended up doing a Ph.D. in Physics! So much for the accuracy of the 11+ determining exam. I'd like to hear what you found most memorable about Mrs. Bullock? I don't remember Mme Jaquette - did she teach French? Thanks

Hi Larry: I was just looking at information on my first school (1955) and noted your comment on Col. Gething. What a character he was! I always remember his teaching - he was very forceful and yet at the same time there was a sweetness to his character. We had a boy in my class whose name was Hayes. He used to ask "What is a Phrase, Hayes?", which made us all laugh. Fortunately, a lot of good teaching is done with humour and so I remembered well what a phrase is, and even a clause!!

What years were you at Sandwell school - you may have known my sister, Ann Groves, who started there in 1953. She left in 1958 I think and I left in 1960 to go to Aldridge Secondary Modern - funny how life is - I ended up doing a Ph.D. in Physics! So much for the accuracy of the 11+ determining exam.

Sandwell School, Streetly

Sandwell School, Streetly was a small private school located a little way up Blackwood Road from the Foley Road, on the right hand side. It consisted of a pair of semi-detached houses, knocked into one. It operated from some time in the 1930s and was initially owned and run (and perhaps created) by Miss Cook/Cooke. She was later succeeded by Mr Moore and then Mr Newton-Hearn. I don't know when it closed or evolved into something very different.

This is a picture of the pupils in about 1938/9. On the back row, 9th from the left Heather Craig, 10th Sheila Myers.
Next row down, 4th from left, possibly Beth Davis.
The teachers, left to right, Mrs Fairey?, Miss Cook, Miss Humphreys/Humphries.

I wonder how many of these children are still with us. Even the youngest well into their eighties,

Chris

Attachments

• Sandwell-Group.jpg
    Sandwell-Group.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I was a pupil from Easter 1948, when I was four, until 1954. I have my school photographs and all my termly Reports. I have prepared a detailed account of my time at Sandwell, which I will upload as soon as the site will let me! It's a Word 2010 doc which seems to be a problem. More in due course.
Richard Holland

Hello, I was at Sandwell School between the years 1956-1961. I remember Col. Gething and his description of life in Egypt.
I have a letter posted to my parents dated June 1961 from Newton-Hearn; "We regret that we have to inform you that the school must now close at the end of this Term on July 20th 1961." I ended up at Blackwood Road Primary.

Hello, I was at Sandwell School between the years 1956-1961. I remember Col. Gething and his description of life in Egypt.
I have a letter posted to my parents dated June 1961 from Newton-Hearn; "We regret that we have to inform you that the school must now close at the end of this Term on July 20th 1961." I ended up at Blackwood Road Primary.
Hi I’m not sure if I have the right school but I went to a private Sandwell Road School, Streetly sometime in 1955/56. I remember the uniform was maroon and gold? Remember the tuck shop too, with its wagon wheels. Have I got the right school.

Welcome to the Forum, Caroline. I'm sure that uniform colour etc. is something which your contemporaries here should find it fairly easy to confirm. (Certainly the school I have in mind and went to, in 1941-1944, had a maroon uniform but probably nothing as fancy as gold, as far as I remember!)

Chris

Welcome to the Forum, Caroline. I'm sure that uniform colour etc. is something which your contemporaries here should find it fairly easy to confirm. (Certainly the school I have in mind and went to, in 1941-1944, had a maroon uniform but probably nothing as fancy as gold, as far as I remember!)

Chris
Thanks Chris, I’ve been trying to find information about the school for years. I’ve still got school tie and little purse for tuck money. Hopefully someone will confirm if I’ve got the right school. I’m not very good with forums though.

Bombo's village 35kb .jpg
Going through my Sandwell School archive I came across this drawing and text from 26th May 1952. I would have been 8 years old. Hope you can read the handwriting, but I am sure school children have a different look on life in Africa than we had!!! I have got a few pages like this, drawing and text. Think Mrs Bullock was the teacher, and we had lessons not in the main school but in an annex of the headmaster;s home (?)

Last edited:
Hi I’m not sure if I have the right school but I went to a private Sandwell Road School, Streetly sometime in 1955/56. I remember the uniform was maroon and gold? Remember the tuck shop too, with its wagon wheels. Have I got the right school.
Hello, Yes it sounds like you went to the same school. I don't remember the tuck shop though.

View attachment 148220
Going through my Sandwell School archive I came across this drawing and text from 26th May 1952. I would have been 8 years old. Hope you can read the handwriting, but I am sure school children have a different look on life in Africa than we had!!! I have got a few pages like this, drawing and text. Think Mrs Bullock was the teacher, and we had lessons not in the main school but in an annex of the headmaster;s home (?)
I wish I had more stuff from my days. Apart from school tie and tuck shop purse that’s all. Funny you posting about writing about Africa as I had lived in the Sudan from 9mths up to 8/9yrs. I was sent to Sandwell Road School as I didn’t settle in large school in Handsworth. I couldn’t read the writing but will seek out a magnifying glass. Thanks for posting. Love the drawing of the village. I’m so pleased I’ve found this forum. Brilliant.

Caroline
If you save the photo and look at it on your computer, then it should be possible to enlarge the image to make it easier to read

Caroline
If you save the photo and look at it on your computer, then it should be possible to enlarge the image to make it easier to read
I’ll try that another time but thanks for the tip. I tend to view everything via my iPhone. When I find my tie and purse I’ll post pics. Ive moved house so many times I forget where stuff is!!

Hi Larry: I was just looking at information on my first school (1955) and noted your comment on Col. Gething. What a character he was! I always remember his teaching - he was very forceful and yet at the same time there was a sweetness to his character. We had a boy in my class whose name was Hayes. He used to ask "What is a Phrase, Hayes?", which made us all laugh. Fortunately, a lot of good teaching is done with humour and so I remembered well what a phrase is, and even a clause!!

What years were you at Sandwell school - you may have known my sister, Ann Groves, who started there in 1953. She left in 1958 I think and I left in 1960 to go to Aldridge Secondary Modern - funny how life is - I ended up doing a Ph.D. in Physics! So much for the accuracy of the 11+ determining exam.
Michael, the 11+ did me no favors, I went on to prove it very wrong!

Hello all I am Sandra Dvorjetz, older sister of Jill. I attended Sandwell school from 1950 - around 1953/4. From There I went to Lichfield Friary Grammar school. We lived on the Chester Road and Jill is still living in Sutton Coldfield. I lived in Australia for many years before returning to the Uk six years ago. I will try and remember some names from my time there

Certainly rember Colonel Gething certainly a charicter.

He used to read to us from a book on a friday afternoon Little Grey Men. We all called it Dodder. It was about some gnomes who lived under a tree.

Found the book on amazon a couple of years ago and whatemories it brought back.

Think he must have undertaken military service in Egypt because he mentioned irrigation systems along the Nile, in a way that seemed to be first hand knowledge.

I attended Sandwell from January 1957 to December 1960 and for most of that time Lt. Col. P. J. Gething M.C. looked after the sports program for the older students as well as the Army Cadets - boys only. Colonel Gething retired during the latter part of 1960 but he was still around in October of that year for the panoramic school photograph. In retrospect, that may be the last photograph of students, teachers and staff as the school closed the following summer. (photograph available if someone can tell me how to scan a metre-long document)

One of the most memorable events of my school years was being on the team of cadets that entered the annual walking festival at Nijmegen, Holland, in 1958 and 1959. Colonel Gething accompanied the squad of twelve cadets - six from Sandwell - and looked after general administration. He also took us out for a meal of ham, eggs and chips at the end of the four day event.

My old school cap.
The only images I have are from an earlier era of uniform and don't include a cap - which certainly existed and was all maroon, like the rest of the uniform.

The badge was a triangle of S-S-S (which - if you were to believe the boys who went to the school further up the Foley Road as they prodded you in the chest, one letter at a time - stood for SILLY - SOPPY - SCHOOL).

Here's the uniform, on a day in Spring 1943 or 1944. To put it gently, I think the wearer was just having a Bad Blazer Day.

Chris

SandwellBlazer1.jpg

SandwellBlazer2.jpg

I attended Sandwell from January 1957 to December 1960 and for most of that time Lt. Col. P. J. Gething M.C. looked after the sports program for the older students as well as the Army Cadets - boys only. Colonel Gething retired during the latter part of 1960 but he was still around in October of that year for the panoramic school photograph. In retrospect, that may be the last photograph of students, teachers and staff as the school closed the following summer. (photograph available if someone can tell me how to scan a metre-long document)

One of the most memorable events of my school years was being on the team of cadets that entered the annual walking festival at Nijmegen, Holland, in 1958 and 1959. Colonel Gething accompanied the squad of twelve cadets - six from Sandwell - and looked after general administration. He also took us out for a meal of ham, eggs and chips at the end of the four day event.
I must have been there the same time as you, and I think I still have the panoramic roll somewhere. I'm the one crunched up on the front row.

I must have been there the same time as you, and I think I still have the panoramic roll somewhere. I'm the one crunched up on the front row.
There are at least a couple of boys sitting crossed-legged on the ground that could be described as 'crunched up'. I was awarded a chair and am seated next to the white-coated cook.
The school photograph indicates that the 'new' uniform was introduced in about the summer of 1958 for new entrants. The older blazer with gold trim was 'grandfathered' (an acceptable word in that era) and some of us made our uniforms last until graduation.

Back