• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sandfields Waterworks Pumping Engine

This is certainly an interesting project for me. I have known about the place since the mid 70’s so could not let this one get away. Water pumping stations just like this were common place in Birmingham, Witton Lakes, Salford Bridge, Perry Barr, Northfield and Waterworks Street in the town.

Sadly only a few of the building are left in Birmingham now. Thanks Mike for popping along, we should be able to get better public access in the near future so I hope folks here will visit.

hi mort i am sure i have seen another pumping station i think on the way back from fradley cant quite recall its location now but it looks to be the same one..not sure if i took a photo of it as i was more interested in a ghost sign on an old building

lyn

Last edited:
A few press cuttings that might be of interest. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
And one man's career at the Pumping Station. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 9
Nice one Viv, amazing that you have found out information about Joe Plant. I know of him and have met some of his descendants. I know he was Forman Engineer and have a very long serve record. Seeing out 3 Engineers in Chief. It is said that Joe looked after the engine as if it was his oqn and kept it polished so it looked like a crystal place. If you touched the brightwork without gloves, he would have your eye out.

Joe is on the leftSandfileds Staff 1893.JPG

Viv, I think he was. South Staffs were quite a regimented company, so he would have worked his way up. The engine driver was quite a key job, the one at Sandfields would have cost the equivalent of around £40 million pounds in todays money to install.

Wow, that's excellent ! So good to see these places revived and alive. Even the balustrade is the same. You need a few more beards ! ! ! Viv.

Up above volunteers are beginning the work of removing the corrosion of 14 years. Already in places the brasswork is beginning to gleam as it used to, though much remains to be done, as they have only had a few weeks so far on the job. The large beam which supports the components sits above it all.
It was a very interesting visit and my thanks to Morturn for allowing it. I took 100 photos, a few were rubbish , but, other than that, all interesting . however only space for a few here.

View attachment 115618 View attachment 115619 View attachment 115620 View attachment 115621 View attachment 115622 View attachment 115623 .
what a fantasic place. and to be able to visit.it . how heavy is the beam?
When we did the updated photo, guess where I chose to stand? The pumping station (my) dog was called Ben, unfortunately he died last year. Our new pumping station dog, is called Joe, named after Joe Plant.

View attachment 123700
just great pics well done all. and. joe and in memory of ben bless.

Great documentary Mort - informative insight into the issues of cholera and clean water. And such foresight by South Staffs to consider arrangements for the preservation of the pumping station after it had outgrown its usefulness.

One thing that’s striking is how it was originally a struggle to muster support for its development. What a fascinating and innovating piece of history. Thanks for updating us. And a big thank you to all those volunteers who’ve made this possible. Viv.

Back