• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley College

P

PeterScott

According to the 1861 census my great great grandfather Edwin Astley is living at the Saltley College - training to be a schoolmaster. He must have passed as he went on to be headmaster at a school in Brymbo, Denbighshire.

I would like to know more about the school, and how Edwin came to be there - as he was (as far as I can tell) from a working class familly in Wem, Shropshire. Did people pay to be at the collage, or would he have won a scholarship?

Any information at all regarding the collage would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Peter Scott.

The college used to be for training missionaries at one time.

Last edited:
The building is still there but its a residential dwelling now, a small flat complex

Access to Archives show records for the college are held at the Central Library in town. They consist of Reports, ledgers and minutes. 1847 - 1978, you will need a readers ticket to view them.

Here's a couple of pic's of the collage:C
Photos replaced, though not necessarily the same as original

saltleycollege.jpgSaltley%20College1910.jpg

Pom :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen that Place before thanks Pom now I know where my Mate who is now in OZ and a personal friend of the Moody Blues who studied at Saltley College with him:)

It's more than a residential place, Birmingham Council run 'Decent homes' from there, I pop in quite a lot, at least twice a week.

Another bit of trivia about this college..... It was used to billet the Argentine 1966 World Cup national team. There were quite a few younger players with them too and these could be seen in the evenings playing footie at the top end of St Saviours Road, close-by the college.

The college was also used by the Home Guard in 1943, I was there for awhile. S.U.Carburators were next door. I still have some books that were going to be burnt that I rescued. Geff

Back