• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Salford Park Photos Please

Hi Oldmohawk some cracking photo's there mate really great to see them, thank you very much, do you have any of the other side of the bridge too please??

Many thank.s again,

Ricco,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Salforg park photo,s please,

Hi thank,s i just looked at britain from above, that used to be one huge lake hey!!

Ricco,,

Re: Salforg park photo,s please,

Hi Ricco - I copied the pics below from the forum before the hack attack. I'm not totally sure they are Slade Rd and will remove them if they are not.
attachment-28.jpg

attachment-29.jpg

Yes Mate they are slade road indeed,,2nd pic is where i live:peaceful:
i wish i had a better photo of my home back then!!!!

look how nice & clean the street's are!!!

Ricco,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
1st pic (post 5) is right by Hillside Road where my late Wife and I spent 23 happy years from 1962 till 1985 when we moved to Chelmsley Wood. The shop on the left before the bridge was run by Asians and is where we obtained our fruit and veg. Happy days

Super set of photographs there. I know Slade Road well; went to Slade Road school and my grandparents lived of Hunton Hill.

Thank you for posting them

In this Slade Road 3 Way Junction pic from post #2 it interesting to see the 'lattice work' of tram wires above the road. I also notice an interesting looking car on the footpath in front of the building on the left.

Erd_Erd_Arms_Slade_Rd_jcn.jpg

Hi all

Amazing pictures!! Does anyone have any memories of Salford House otherwise known as Hillside House. It was a large house which took up the area which is now occupied by the triangle of Kegworth Road, Hillside Road and Chartley Road.

Thanks

James

Some cracking photo's there Mohawk, do you have anymore please?:peaceful:

Oh has anyone found any of salford park as yet?

Many thank's,

Ricco,,,,

Hi Ricco - None of the photos are mine, I typed in special lines of text which made photos in the forum database with the word 'Slade' in their titles appear in my post #2.

I notice that the first photo in post #2 (dated 1955) shows the shop which Eric noticed in the first pic in post#5. The pic in post#2 has no tram lines but the pic in post #5 has so it must be earlier than 1953. I'll have another look around because I did not use all the Slade Rd photos, but very many photos just have titles such as 'img' which makes searches difficult.
oldmohawk

Ok oldMohawk im really grateful to you for spending time looking for me, your a star,

Ricco,,,,

Hi Ricco - I've had another trawl through the forum database for pics connected with Slade Rd and the ones below pop up ....
ps. You have to be logged in to see the images in this post

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
As a child om=n holiday in Southsea I remember we stayed in digs and I was spellbound watching the trolley buses when they changed direction and they hooked up on a different set of wires.

Hi Old mohawk, the stockland green stores is a new one to me not seen that one before ,Fantastic!!!

can i ask do you know what year those houses where built on slade road please? the trees look already large & old too me!!

Great photo's

Ricco,,,,

Do any of you good folks know when those houses where built on the slade road please?

Many thanks,

Ricco,,,

Ricco.

The predominate style of the windows, with the marginal bars etc is late Victorian, say around 1860 onwards.

Rico, this is the only one I have of Salford Park, taken July 1966 I believe.
I've got quite a few of Salford Bridge.
Salford Park July1966.jpg

The image below of Spaghetti Junction just before it opened in 1972 is in another forum thread and it shows Salford Park or what's left of it after the junction was built.

HI David and fellow members and of course oldmowhawk;
firstly guys both cracking pictures of salford ressor ; i spent alot of time down there and recal the building of the cycle track being built
and seen the changes of it over the years it was very pleasant to stroll around or do abit of fishing ;
my ex father inlaw whom was a senior foreman as osrams GEC witon Lived in wryley birch estate and from start to finish that man charlie would go every day
seven days aweek to and from work even at wek ends when he was not working would strool down there at some point and observe the bulding and progress
of the building of its sections way back then
i would like to asked this question which ressor of brum was the best for walking and its surrounding of any building with in its complexx around these ressors
and which one had the best boat house and which one was the largest one Aston OR edgbaston; in miles does anybody know i spent many hours in and around both
of them many thanks Alan ; astonian;;;

Now that is an interesting photo Davidfowler i had not seen that one before, there is a hell of a lot of detail in that picture,,, just look at how much has been pulled down/Lost to the modern landscape hey!!!!
David if you can post up some of your photo's of Salford bridge maybe the gravelly hill junction with slade road too if you have any that would be lovely,

Has anyone got any Copely hill or Lemington road also Powick road when it ran out onto gravelly hill!!! photo'd too please?

many thanks for the photo,s guy,s,

Ricco,,,

Rico, this is the only one I have of Salford Park, taken July 1966 I believe.
I've got quite a few of Salford Bridge.
View attachment 89892

That is a great photo OldMowhawk,, i can't belive how many building,s that park and surrounding's had, a hell of a lot of building's lost!!!! look at all the surrounding land now gone!!!!

Ricco,,,

The image below of Spaghetti Junction just before it opened in 1972 is in another forum thread and it shows Salford Park or what's left of it after the junction was built.

Thank you Morturn so they began building them around 1860 then,, really old houses i bet they had some great detail inside them!

i live further down the slade road i think our houses under the bridge are newer one's??

Ricco,,,

Ricco.

The predominate style of the windows, with the marginal bars etc is late Victorian, say around 1860 onwards.

Hi Astonian very interesting read indeed,, do you have any photo's of the track being built or of the salford park please,

many thank's,

Ricco,,

firstly guys both cracking pictures of salford ressor ; i spent alot of time down there and recal the building of the cycle track being built
and seen the changes of it over the years it was very pleasant to stroll around or do abit of fishing ;
my ex father inlaw whom was a senior foreman as osrams GEC witon Lived in wryley birch estate and from start to finish that man charlie would go every day
seven days aweek to and from work even at wek ends when he was not working would strool down there at some point and observe the bulding and progress
i would like to asked this question which ressor of brum was the best for walking and its surrounding of any building with in its complexx around these ressors
and which one had the best boat house and which one was the largest one Aston OR edgbaston; in miles does anybody know i spent many hours in and around both

Is there a holy grail of footage ie of a tram journey from stockland green down the slade road under the railway bridge and onto litchfield road past the Salford park???

oh how i would love to see that or take that journey just to see what was where & what road's have gone around spaghetti junction,

a trip from my house by the railway bridge to salford park past the muckman & gravelly junction then around the park,,,,,,,,

can anyone put that trip together in photo's at all???

maybe one day footage from spaghetti junction planners who surveved that area in the late 1960's will show the original image's or moving footage hey!!!

Ricco,,,,

Alan, I spent many happy hours fishing there when I was young. My favourite spot was from the front of the boat house where you could catch thousands (well to me anyway!) little perch. I'd go home back down Tyburn Rd with lots of pricks in my hands from the spines of the perch. When I was 16 I joined Lozells Harriers and we used to train in the park.

regards
David

Hi Ricco

I do recall there are a few arts and craft style houses after the bridge what would date around 1919 to 1920. Slade Road is in deed an interesting, but quite unnoticed place.

Thank you Morturn so they began building them around 1860 then,, really old houses i bet they had some great detail inside them!

i live further down the slade road i think our houses under the bridge are newer one's??

Ricco,,,

David, those are good images. The present 1926 bridge was built because of a government grant to provide work for unemployed people. Of course the place is unrecognisable now the motorway has been built. Quite surprisingly, the row of houses in the centre of picture 1 and left side of picture 4 are still there.

Back