• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ryder street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this pic is very interesting to me...in the early 70s i used to work for a co called W H PRICE they hired out power tools and were in summer lane..a few years later they moved to the corner of summer lane and brearley st....more recently it looks like they have now been taken over....anyhow my point being is that the pic i am posting on the corner is a little shop called W H PRICE and i just wondered if this was humble beginnings of the prices i worked for...john i hope its of use to you....

lyn

Lyn,
You've done it on me again, our signshop was just round the corner to the right.
We did Prices signs every couple of years for 6 years until Stafford St. was gone under a great slab of concrete.
I have put photos of the signs while we were doing them.
What are you going to come up with next I wonder.
Regards John.

oh dear john..i seem to be going all around your shop dont i?? i know im not a technical person but im so glad i do have a good memory for the streets and roads folk are searching for...dont worry one will turn up...as a matter of interest can you remember what prices did at that time...

lyn

Lyn,
W. H. Price sold and hired tools like Black and Decker drills and such, Iwill sort a picture out with our van parked outside when the signs were blank in the undercoat stage.

Lyn, W H PRICE, Was in the shop many times for Black & Decker spares they operated an exchange scheme and would swop your non working power drill for a re-conditioned one, cheaper than buying a new power drill, it was opposite Gaskel & Chambers pub bar fitters, the Italian Quarter was just down Ryder St. Len.

Working on the building all my life i first used W.H. Price when they were in Ryder St also in that area were Barnards --- Whithers ---- Ponds And the greatest nut and bolt shop in brum Pirriams which was located in the Fire Station building. Dek

thank you john.len and dek...that confirms it was the prices i worked for then....john i shall look forward to seeing your pic and what was the number in ryder st where your shop was...

lyn

Morning Lyn,Crikey don't ask me technical questions like that.. ha ha I think it was no. 60.
Derek I also used Perriams, brilliant shop if they hadn't got it no one had, remember the youngish man in the brown cowgown, what he didn't know wasn't worth knowing, think he was a member of the family.
Lyn will post that pic a bit later, it's in one of Alton's books, which I have to find.
Regards John.

morning john.....well your shop is now top of my list of pics to find and i dont give up that easily....just one last thing what did your shop sign say??? i take it you did yer own...hope to see your pic soon then. ive got some alton books myself but they are out on loan..must retreive em...

lyn

Lyn,
If you find a photo of our signshop I will give you a million quid, haven't
got it but I'll rob a bank.
The shop was FRANCIS BURLEY and the window was full of cut-out wooden letters in every colour and typeface, the back of the window was 3 glass screens signwritten in gold leaf readind glass gilding,signwriting,
and wood and metal letters.
Mind you ,you never know, it took me 50 years to find a picture of the Cromwell Arms.
Cheers John.

thanks john..the more info i have the better...a million quid sounds very nice...i shall get straight to work..lol...

lyn

Here you are Lyn,
The 2nd photo was taken from the corner in the first one, both from Alton Douglas book Birmingham Shops.
John.

nice pics john..so near yet so far....ok ive got the name and the add is 60 ryder st.....leave it with me...fingers crossed...

lyn

john..looking at the pics i thought it must be stafford st...ignore me..i get confused of late lol...wouldnt mind but ive sent emails out requesting ryder st..dont worry i will go and correct it...thanks for the map...

lyn

Lyn,
I took these photos from another thread on Stafford St., posted by Mikejee on the other site, if you read this Mike I hope you don't mind.
Derek, Perriams in the photo with yellow , roughly where they were.

john..just had a pic sent through of shops in stafford st but once again i think yours missed out...bare with me while i download it...

lyn

john...heres the pic i have been sent...at least its of stafford st...(i hope) looking at it i think i may have seen this one before..maybe on another thread

lyn

Thanks Lyn
But you haven't got the money yet, seen that one before, James Watt St. to the left, our shop was where the arrow is pointing but a bit further on, good try.
John.

yep..thought id seen it before john...oh well onward and upward as they say....there will be one floating around somewhere...

ttfn...

lyn

Back