• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rubery Hill Asylum

I take it you are only interested in Rubery hill, not Hollymore. Below are maps from c 1884, c1904, c1937 and c1965

map_c_1884_rubery_hill_hospital.jpg

map_c_1904_rubery_hill_hospital.jpg

map_c_1937_rubery_hill_hospital.jpg

map_c_1965_rubery_hill_hospital.jpg

Many, many thanks for this! I am indeed only interested in Rubery Hill (for now). Might I ask where you got these maps as if I use them I will need to reference them. Thank you so much :)

They are OS maps. They are copied from old maps site (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html) but would be available from the Birmingham library (presumably) . Think you would have to speak to OS . Oldmaps seem to claim copyright and data rights. Not sure what your situation would be

all these maps are over 50 yeras old. At https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/licensing/crown-copyright.html it states that copyright is with the HMSO ordnance survey for items less than 50 years old, but not for those items greatyer than 50 years old.Anyway I would ahve thought that for your purposes it would come under fair use. you could obtain these maps from a library source and there would be no question of copyright issues. i would that insertion of "© Crown Copyright {insert year of publication}" as suggested by the reference would be appropriate.

Thank you do much for this - they are going to be used in my dissertation i think :) much appreciated.

Hi Jess

My Gt Grandmother was in Rubery Hill Asylum she died there in 1893 & was buried in the grounds, I found a lot of information at the old library they have an old plan of the burial ground but it i couldn't pin point where she was buried ,most of the grounds have new houses built on now but there is one part grassed over with a memorial plaque on the gate, i have live close by for 40 yrs and it was only when i researched my family tree i found this out i had been passing the ground twice a week without realising.

Regards Pat

Our next door neighbour Mrs Russell was sent to Rubery Hill, when a mere girl, she got pregnant at 15, she was held till her 50's when she married Fred Russell, we thought she was a lovely lady, until one day she took all Fred's clothes and his motor bike and set fire to them at the bottom of her garden, we never saw her again. I often wondered what happened to that quite, nice lady from my childhood.Paul

Back