• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rubber road Minories Lewis's

ealex40

ex-Sheldonite
Why was the road covered with rubber. When was it done and when was it removed?

Now this area has glass doors at each end of where the road led through and appears to be a kind of reception area..

I assume the rubber was to keep the traffic noise down.
It is now a smart little shopping area with a restaurant and seating area in there.

ealex40, welcome to the forum, if you type "Minories" in the search box you will find a number of threads about the rubber road.

Colin

Thanks for your replies. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful and friendly you all are.
I have asked questions before and have always been impressed with your immediate responses.

The rubber road was built from rubber blocks and was an early experiment to see how the surface stood up to traffic. The fact that it was not taken up on other roads suggests it was a non-starter either on wear, safety or costs points of view. willey

Hi

I remember nearly coming off my motorbike in the Minories
in the early sixties more than once. You had to turn onto
the rubber road from Old Square, rather than getting a
straight run at it. As the front wheel hit an unpleasant
combination of rubber, grease, and rain you tended to lose it!

Kind regards

Dave

Back