• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Warwickshire regisment 1925 to 1934

L

llamafarmer

My grandad Samuel Arthur Smith was in the RWR between 1925 and 1934, ive traced his service history and he was listed as being in Palestine, Egypt, Sudan and India. He was awarded the 3rd class Jerusalem medal on 10.12.31 although Ive tried looking online for it i can find no mention of it... anyone know what it looks like?

To my surprise i also found that my grandad was an original 'bad lad' who absconded from basic training twice! After 2 years service being good he was posted as a deserter 16.2.27 and arrested in Birmingham on the 8.7.27 after being on the run for 5 months! I noticed he was in hospital for two weeks after being arrested so im guessing he didnt go quietly! Luckily they didnt shoot deserters and he went to army detention quarters for 84 days at Shorncliffe; he did earn 13 days remission so i guess he turned over a new leaf... ive tried to find a newspaper article but so far havent been able to... do you think this would have made the Birmingham Post?

He was posted to India with the 1st battalion 9 oct 1928 till 26 march 1930 from there to Sudan till 25 April 1931 straight to Palestine until 1st jan 1932 then onto Egypt till 6th February 1934 some blinkin trip!

My last question is does anyone know what the RWR was up to in India, Sudan, Palestine and Egypt during the time my grandad was out there? Ive approached the RWR Museum but they say unless he was an officer there wouldnt be much mention of him in the regimental archives.

His service record does say he sustained a sprained right knee which wasnt severe and not likely to interfere with army service in Bombay on 1.12.28 - but he was eventually discharged as medically unfit on 21 April 1934, family story goes that he got infected shins from his gaiters rubbing his skin raw which became ulcerated, whether this is true or not i dont know...

If anyone knows anything about the 1st Battalion RWR between 1925 and 1934 id love to hear from them :)

Back