• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

AustinLancer

knowlegable brummie
Hi from Australia.

I am trying to find out about the 1/8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment in WW1.

A relative of mine, Private A H Eade, was killed of 4 November 1918 and is burried at Landrecies British Cemetery (according to CWGC website) which I believe is in France or Belgium.

Would any one know anything about this Battalion ?

I am sure that by this evening you will know it all.
I have had great help from the experts . My knowledge is that
The 1/8th Battalion ended the war on 11 Nov 1918 near Landrecies, France.
My Grandfather was in the 1/8th as well.
regards
Amanda

Cheers Amanda - I believe this battalion also saw service in Italy fighting the Austrians - but this may be in correct.

You can see their basic history on this page: https://www.1914-1918.net/warwicks.htm. They had been in Italy from November 1917 but returned to France in September 1918. On 4 November 1918 they were engaged in the Battle of the Sambre.

From the same site:
The Battle of the Sambre (phases of the Final Advance in Picardy)
In this action, the 25th Division fought the passage of the Sambre-Oise Canal at Landrecies. The crossing of the canal was a considerable feat: it was 55 feet wide and over 6 feet deep. Fortunately, wooden foot bridges left by the Germans were captured quickly, thanks to a brilliant rapid advance in which the suppression of stubborn machine gun posts was a feature. Many prisoners and stores were taken in Landrecies itself. The advance pressed on next day across the Petit Helpe river. In all, the Division moved forward 12 miles in difficult country, including the Bois l'Eveque, halfway between Le Cateau and the Foret de Mormal. The Division was relieved by 66th Division in the night of 7/8 November.

More on this page: https://www.1914-1918.net/25div.htm

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the reply and link to your wonderful web site.

My relative according to CWGC web site died on 4/11/18, thus I assume being killed on the first day of the battle you mention.

Would you have any idea of the casualties the Warwicks took in this battle so close to the end of WW 1 ?

Aaargh ... one of those moments! I don't think any of the published histories I have quote a figure. I found I had a copy of the battalion war diary but only of October, not November 1918. If you would like it I'll happily send you a copy.

On 4.11.18 twenty three members of 1/8 RWR were killed (CWGC). Nearly all buried in Landrecies British Cemetery. Eade is on two Warley/Oldbury area memorials.

Hi Chris & Alan

Many thanks for your replies. Alan would you know which memorials ?

As I type this on 4-11-10, the anniversary of these chaps deaths, I can't but think what a terrible loss to die so close to Nov 11. A H Eade (Arthur Henry) was one of 8 children, Artthur being killed when 25 in WW1. His brother Fred (my grandmother's father born in Aston but lived in Smethwick most of his life while working in Brum's Jewellery Quarter) married in 1912 an Ethel Grew, whose only 2 male siblings, Cyril 1915 & Harold 1917 were both RE sappers killed on the Western Front in WW 1.

Like many families WW1 took a terrible toll on my grandmother's family.

My great grandfather also served in this batallion - he was killed at the Somme in July 1916. Alfred Joseph John Bragg - Pvt 2863.
May they all rest inm peace.

Hello Bevflower

Regarding Pte Alfred J J Bragg, 1/8 Royal Warwicks. Checking the Commonwealth War Graves Site I see he is buried in Bapaume Post Military Cemetery. During the middle weekend of May, next month, I will be visiting the Somme and Bapaume Post Cemetery is on my Cemeteries to visit list ( visiting the grave of 2nd Lt William Henry Furse, Northumberland Fusiliers who was an original Birmingham Pal from Moseley before being commissioned).
I can take a photo of the grave/cemetery for you and the area over which the battalion saw action.

Regards

Terry

I tried researching my uncle but came to a stop when the MOD told me his records were destroyed in the Blitz in 1940. I have found a few items of interest but is there any more I can do? He was a native of Birmingham. No. 483 Corporal Harry Steele. 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regt. Died 26th February 1916 aged 25 years. He is buried in Foncquevillers Military Cemetery France. Would it have been in a specific battle? I have a photo of his original grave, it is a wooden cross with just his name and No. written on. I have tried to put it on with this message but could not manage it. Geff

Hi Geff

The 1/8 along with the 1/5, 1/6 & 1/7 Royal Warwicks were Territorials, with the 1/8 coming from Aston. They served in 143 Brigade of the 48th (South Midland) Division. At the time he was killed these battalions were on routine trench duties. i.e periods holding the front line trenches, followed by spells in support then reserve. When in the front line patrols would enter No Man's Land in the hours of darkness. Foncquevillers is the northernmost sector of the Somme front. Most men who were killed or died of wounds at this period was most likely by shell fire or shot by snipers.

Checking his Medal Card on Ancestry he went over to France on 22 March 1915. His service number on his card states 482. and also states "Died Acc. W." which could mean died of accidental wounds

https://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3265326

Regards

Terry

My Father, Sgt. F.A.Darby served with the 8th Batt. Royal Warwick's, served at Gallipoli, when withdrawn from there went to Russia to fight on the side of the Russian Royal Family.
When they were murdered and he returned to blighty, he brought back with him 2 Russian coins which I still have.

hello Austin K2

Your father Frederick A Darby served in the 9th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Service number 11568.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,
Sorry about that, put it down to dodgy finger syndrome.
Can you find out any more information for me, you can send it by e-mail if you have any.

I have also been looking for information on this regiment as my Dad's cousin fought with them in WW2, and was killed in Normandy in July 1944. I should have done this research a few weeks ago as we were over there last weekend, but can anyone help me with information about what exactly Alfred may have been engaged in over the period of July 1944. He was with the 2nd Battalion and is buried at Ranville cemetery. There are apparently quite a few from the Regiment who were killed in July (probably as it was not long after the landings) but what were they up to? Most of the men buried there are aged around 30 years, quite old compared with the average age in most cemeteries. His full name was Alfred Donald Harris. I have information that they were part of the 3rd Infantry division, 185 Infantry brigade, possibly coming ashore at Sword beach.

Hi Terry, Thanks for the additional information on my Uncle, I wish I had your know how and computer knowledge, too late to worry about that now,thanks again. Regards Geff

Colin, Thank you for that information.

I've contacted the regiment from their website, but any information about their activities in the possible six weeks he was in Normandy would be great.

Hi Geff

I can copy the pages concerning the 9th Royal Warwicks from a book. It covers their service from Gallipoli, Mesopotamia to Baku with what was known as the Dunster Force in 1918/19.

Terry

Hallo Terry Carter, another one for you. John Bennett born 1882, my uncle, in 1901 he is on that years census in Aston Birmingham, from then no trace. I have a photo of him in army uniform with a Royal Warwickshire cap badge. He also has a swagger cane under his arm which might indicate he was an N.C.O.
Can not understand why he was never mentioned in my family. I promise not to trouble you after this one. GEFF

Hi Geff
I do not mind checking for you. John Bennett is a popular name and there are several Medal Index cards to John Bennett's in the Warwicks. Swagger sticks were given to privates and NCO's as part of their walking out dress. It stopped them putting their hands in their pockets. Or possibly photographer's kept them in their studios and used them when a soldier came in for his picture taken.

Terry

Hi - interesting thread, I've been trying to research my Father who was and is a mystery to my sister and I, have learned from a helpful Veteran details of Dad's siblings six in all and a revelation to us, this thread has prompted me to say Father was in the Warwickshire Reg as a kid I recall Thorpe St Barracks mentioned and we all lived at Witton near the 8th Batt. His full name -Thomas Clayton, was in the Terrors many years between the wars and he finished possibly as a CSM or similar. I don't want to impose on Terry but if I can learn how to be proactive and to learn anything at all while still able (80) we would be most grateful and I can pass it down to the young ones. The lesson must be - Talk to your parents while they are here one day you'll wish you had. Great site thanks everyone. Erc809

My father, John A H Busby, was a member of the 8th Bat, Royal Warks in the late 1930s until about 1941. He did not go abroad on active service but remained in the UK doing sentry duties at Midland sites such as Stourport Power station.

The regimental surgeon diagnosed Retinosa Pigmentosa which was usually known as tunnel vision. His eye sight detiriated from when he was at school until he became registered blind in 1962. He often talked about some of his comrades in the 8th Bat. Because of his eye sight being so bad, he was demobbed about 1941.

I know that he was part of the Royal Warks detachment who lined the route of the Coronation of George VI in 1937. I regret that my step mother lost my fathers Coronation Medal and I do not know his service number so I cannot carry out anymore research on his service. If anyone can enlighten me on my fathers military service, I would be most grateful.

hello perry commoner... sorry I only research WW1 servicemen.

E Clayton..... There was a soldier serving in the Royal Warwicks with the name Thomas Clayton. His service number was 306191. This service number was a block of numbers used by the 8th Royal Warwickshire from 1917. Pte Clayton was awarded the War Medal and Victory Medal which shows that he did not enter a theatre of war until after 1 Jan 1916.

I have checked Royal Warwickshire soldiers who were killed and who had service numbers either side of Thomas Clayton's number.

306188, 306187, 306185. These three numbers belonged to men who served in the 1/8th Royal Warwicks

Cannot find any other info

Terry

Like a few others I to have a grandfather Sydney Joe Payne 33356 who served in 1/5 Royal Warwickshire R. from 25/3/17 He was compulsory transferred under AO204/1916 from the East Surrey Reg no 3696 on the same date, can anyone tell me what the 1/5 would have been doing from this time until late 1918?

Back