• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwicks?

R

rin

Can anybody assist with any further information?
My grandfather JohnThomas Field,was born 1875 in the back to backs of Bridge St West. I've next found him in the 1901 census as a pvte infantry regulars.
This photo I believe is of him in the Royal Warwicks can anyone confirm?
I don't know the date is there a way of guessing?

I am told he went to India, and was a recruiting sgt at Thorp St?
He married in 1906.
I don't know whether he fought in WW1 but he died in 1927 of lung disease. Whether that was due to occupation as flour miller or WW1 I couldn't say.
Any signposting as to best way to find out any more on his army career would be gratefully received.

Photo has not got enough definition to enlarge the badges around the collar to see if they are antelopes - the regimental badge.

Thank you Lloyd beat me to it I had very good definition by expanding the photo in fact its a very good one. Can you use your photo skills to expand it full, I'd love to see it.

Ps Dad Was in the Warwicks last War.:)

There you are, Alf. The country cottage behind is just a painted studio backdrop.

Peabody Road, Farnborough is just across the main Lynchford Road (now the A3011) from the former army camp's location, I'd bet they did a lot of this sort of shot.

When in South Africa the Royal Warwicks had a Mounted Infantry Troop. Hence, the spurs and riding breeches and bandolier across his chest. I will try and find out more.

Terry

Hey guys fantastic thanks. Not being too hot on military detail I hadn't even recognised that he has spurs on. You just look to see if you can see any family likeness! I noticed he had white gloves so I thought it was a bit of a ceremonial dress.
So are we thinking that he was with the Warwicks in the Boer War, and obviously on horseback. Did they have a cavalry division? If it was would the tunic have been red?
I'll see if I can get a better definition on the scan. Pity they didn't have colour photos.

The belt buckle looks as if it has an animal head but difficult to pick out. What is the chevron on his arm, is that a good conduct or similar?
Many thanks I'll see what I can do with the picture.
Oh by the way I believe he may not have used his first name as he was known I'm told as Tom.

Rin

The 2nd Bn The Royal Warwickshire Regt. and reached Cape Town on 15 December, 1899. To keep lines of communication open it was found that mounted troops were needed and a contingent of Mounted Infantry was formed from 'B' Company, 2nd Royal Warwicks. On active service the men would have worn Khaki uniform.

Your photograph was taken in Farnborough, Hants. Men still in the UK would have received training as Mounted Infantry for use in South Africa.

He is wearing his scarlet tunic with a good conduct chevron on the sleeve

I don't know whether these close ups assist with any further identification? I particularly like the spurs and gaitors. The epaulettes shot is poor though, do you know what they would have had on them, numbers, rank or both?
Thanks for all the signposting as well.

A sad song about Christmas WW1 [ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LgjBauf70"]YouTube - Christmas in the Trenches[/ame] Len.

The same sad song with up to date photos. Len. [ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXhZ4uR6rs"]YouTube - Christmas in the Trenches Music Video[/ame]

Hello can anyone help me, My grandfather was in the Royal Warwickshire regement, his name was Samuel Wilks and he lived in Station Road Witton.how can i track him down , he was a regular soldier, and he died in 1947, Also was there a part of the Royal warwickshire regement attatchment in Witton Road when i was a kid i seem to remember some sort of office up there Regards Bob BB

hi bobby b :)

You might possibly get a better response if you start a new thread with your request for grandad Samuel Wilks rather than tag on to an existing one.

Kind regards....Florence :)

Thank you for your message reguarding my grandad ill try and do what you told me see if there is any reply Bob BB

Back