• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Victoria Cross

silhouette53

master brummie
On the corner of William Street and Gower Street, Lozells was a building which, in the 50s and 60s I remember being a factory of sorts - coppersmiths I think - there were always big containers of acid in the yard. Looking at a photograph which turned up of it last week, there is wording clearly visible on the brickwork which indicates that it was once a pub called The Royal Victoria Cross If any of the historians / researchers among you out there have any information on its history I'd be very interested to hear about it

From the Directories it was at 31 William St from about 1873 to some time between 1921 and 1932

Some landlords were:
1872 No pub at that position and only 2 buildings listed
1873 Osman James (pub not named)
1876-1880 John Revcll
1883-1894 Alfred, Homer
1888-1890 William Perrin
1892 Ebenezer Cooper
1895-1896 George Day
1899 Mrs Elizabeth Reynolds
1900 Joseph Williams
1904 Adam Montgomery
1908 John Sidney Baylis
1912-1913 William Bull
1921 Ernest Willie Brooks
1932 Now Akkurat Wood Turning Co. wood turnrs

At some time (https://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/ASTONcrabtree.htm ) between 1904 -8 (when he died), Jimmy Crabtree, who kicked a ball around for Aston villa was the landlord.

mike

Mikejee, thanks VERY much for that !! Fascinating to think that it had such a long history - I grew up in that street having been born there in 1953 but of course it had long ceased to be a pub by then as your history of it shows. I have been picturing what it might have been like in those days - sawdust on the floors - spitoons - bar staff with curly moustaches and long white aprons - the year 1888 always makes me think of the 'Jack The Ripper' murders in London and you can just imagine that being a hot topic of conversation in the Royal Victoria' ( as I'm sure it was in every pub up and down the land ! ) for the customers of William Perrin, the landlord at the time. Again, many thanks for that interesting information. Here's a pic of it - taken in July 1967 I believe

thanks mike..you have come up trumps again...

colin i cant beleive i never spotted that...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn

Back