• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Navy WWI update

florna

knowlegable brummie
Following previous conversations with members I have now received info from TNA re my Grandfather's time in WWI. Attached are parts of the two pages that I have received. Can someone please add some detail to the information contained here? Having paid for the info I now find that it has just been released on line!!!!!
Many thanks
Dave

Attachments

• GBM_AIR79_2133_00204(2).jpg
    GBM_AIR79_2133_00204(2).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 21
  • GBM_AIR79_2133_00205(2).jpg
    GBM_AIR79_2133_00205(2).jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 22
This pretty much confims what I said earlier Fiona. On 1.4.18 He was based at RNAS Grain in Kent. he was then (RO) Rostered overseas on 27.10.18. (Seas) means that he was aboard ship for 2 days on passage to France where he served with the (BEF) British Expeditionary Force. On 22. 11 18 he was officially transfered to the RAF and his service was backdated to 1.4.18.His Rank on Joining the RNAS was Air Craftsman (II) 2nd Class and on the 4.3.18 he became an Aircraftsman (I) 1st Class until 1.4.18 where he became RAF.Hope this Helps.... CHOCKS

Many thanks for your reply. I think I am now up to date with interpretation of the various documents that I have got. You have been a great help
florna

Back