• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Mail tunnel Birmingham

what a great link Ragga some of the photos in the links are great especially some of the Tunnels :D click on the various headings like the ones from crocodile works longbridge .. River Rea ..etc:)

Last edited:
If you go into the link then click on Crocodile works,you can see that Lyn has been there.

Mossg.

as a royal mail worker who worked down those tunnel that connect the royal mail to new street staion certainly look different in those photos than in my working days down there many a happy memory

Hello there, Having started at Royal Mail in 1953 when I came out of the
army, I remember those tunnels very well, at that time about 90% of the
mail was carried by British Rail, transported underground to New Street
Station. I left in 1957, moved out by the overspil scheme,afterwards the
MLO was moved to the PO garage site, and then further out.
After 17 years at Burton I moved to Derby, and the EMA when the mode of
air freight came in. I had some really happy times at Penfold Street office, not long after the war, most of the men were ex/service and would help each
other out I could not have liked it very much, only stayed 42 years!
cheers Bernard67Arnold

@Bernard or Roger, did any of you work the tunnels from Victoria P.O. to the Big Top P.O.?

If you did, can you shed any light on the size/width of the tunnel?

Also, apart from the tunnel from the new street platform to Victoria P.O., were there any other tunnels?

Regarding the Tunnels from the Royal Mail to the New Street Station I have got photos of the buidling of the tunnel shaft and the demolishation of the garage and the rebuilding of the the then new post office build
the building work start I think in 1969 and was up and runnning for working in 1970/1

roger

This site has a short film about the tunnels with some of the previously posted photos. It has some ghostly music to go with it.
BODY {font-family="Arial"} TT {font-family="Courier New"} BLOCKQUOTE.CITE {padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:"solid 2";}https://www.lukejerram.com/projects/st_gabriels_garden

Hello there Derelick, it is such a long long time ago, what you call Victoria
Street is just the counter, the actual sorting office were on both sides of
Hill Street, up and down from street level, the loading bay area was in Thorpe St; Most of Postman on delivery used the Pinfold Street(B2) door.When you first started you did two weeks in the training school after
which you became a MiscellaneouPostman, which meant you have a new
duty each week. Unless you were on station duties you would have no
reason to go down in the dongeons as they were called. Sorry I cant really
help anymore, it was such a hugh building, old, dark, dusty, with nooks
everyway. cheers Bernard

Back