• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal George Summer Lane

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
Can anyone please tell me who were the Landlords of the pub in Summer Lane I think called the Royal George around 1940, could be earlier not sure, as I was told it may have been my Great Uncle John Leonard Harper.
Thankyou
Carolann

Last edited by a moderator:
1936-38 Ronald Fras. Greatrix
1939-40 Edward Hill
1943-46 John Leonard Harper
1949 Samuel Moore
mike

hi carolann...here is a pic of the royal george to go with your info...
Replacement picture

lyn

royal george_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lyn,
Thankyou very much for the photo of the Royal George
i can put it in my folder for John Leonard Harper.

Carolann

hi carolann..you are most welcome..as dek said the george has still not reopened..it was gutted out quite some time ago now and the word was it was going to be another eating place...if you want anymore pics of the pubs on summer lane type in summer lane pubs in the search box and there are pics of them on that thread...

lyn

1936-38 Ronald Fras. Greatrix
1939-40 Edward Hill
1943-46 John Leonard Harper
1949 Samuel Moore
mike
Hi just on this question, my aunt was landlady there in the 70/80’s I worked there in ‘79 after coming from Ireland to live in B’Ham for a while. Where is there a record of tenants?

Was your aunt called Aggie? Had some great sessions in there 78/79. It was a crazy place
That was her. Aggie Jackson. Daft as a brush. I went there in ‘79 when I just turned 17 and lived there and worked part time in the pub. My cousin was married to a local girl Deana Reams.

I remember she had a go at smartening the place up. Unfortunately the wallpaper was put on upside down! The tables were revarnished one morning but didn’t let the customers know so most of the pint glasses stuck to the tables. It was a laugh a minute in there.

Oh that made me laugh but it was so typical. She sold sandwiches and the tomato was thinly cut and put on the outside of the bread. We called them Prairie sandwiches because there was nothing inside them. I remember an Irish man used to come in every evening for a pint or Guinness and he’d give us money for the jukebox and say “play Cracklin Rosie”. He’d play it over and over until he finished his pint and then he’d go. It was never dull there.

There was a guy that was Landlord there in the mid 80s called Danny Mooney, as you might guess he was irish. Not sure where he went from there.

Back