• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roy Holder Brummie Actor

doug1944

master brummie
Hi Does anyone remember Roy Trevor Holder ? I think he was born in Aston in 1946, and went to school with my pal Dave. Roy was picked whilst still at school to appear on TV and has been working from 1961 to the current day in Film and TV, which makes it 50 years on my reckoning. Well done Roy !

I think his sister Jean worked in the bar at Fairlanes Bowling Alley?. I may be mistaken though. Jean.

Roy Holder had an older sister June who was in my class at Burlington st snr girls school, June left school about 6 months before l did...l left in December 1950....there were other siblings to but can'nt remeber how many, they were older than me though..........Brenda

One of Roy's younger brothers - can't remember his name off hand, regularly attends the annual Burlington/Upper Thomas Street Reunion, (this year to be held 7th July at The Barn Social Club) opposite Witton Cemetery. I seem to think there were 5 children in the family, Doreen, June, Roy and two younger brothers. They lived in Park Lane, Aston, up the entry near to Neal's shoe repair shop. I also congratulate Roy for his 50 years in show business, he was in "Whistle Down the Wind", I spotted him when I saw it again on TV.

I knew one of Roys brothers, he worked in a toolroom in Brownhills. that was Ken Holder, I last saw him about 11 years ago,working in another toolroom in Bloxwich.
Also at the same company in Brownhills, Roys nephew, Terry Holder worked in my office for several years, but I believe he is no longer with us.
Goffy

Hi carolann,
We used to live in tower road my mom always talked about roy holder, i think he used to come to our house my brother went to upper thomas street boys school i was ony 4years old then never seen any photos of tower road around 1963. regards Gazz

I remember Roy quite well, he lived on ParkLane but not in the entry next Neal's the shoe repair, it was the next one down, he youngest brother Malcolm was a good mate of mine during our teenage years, Roy's dad died and Mrs Holder married again she had two children , Malcolm and Glynis both very brainy devils, in 1969 when they started to pull Aston down Mrs Holder her new surname was Dow, moved to Colonial Road Bordsley Green......

I have just watched the DVD "War Horse" & I feel sure that Roy Holder was in a crowd scene at the beginning of the film,with a small speaking part.

Margaret.

Hi Margaret: "War Horse" was on TV here yesterday and Roy Holder was in it playing the part of Fred Goddard.

Thank you for confirming that I was correct in spotting him ( very good film wasn't it ??)

Margaret.

In the early sixties I saw a play on the television that may have been Roy's first appearance. It was The Train Set by David Turner. (David Turner was a well known playwright at the time who upset Mary Whitehouse. He had also been my English teacher at school). If it is the play I think it was, it was set in a working class home in Birmingham. An ordinary home, The sort many of us lived in. Roy played the young son and I remember him asking his mom for a piece. (For any youngsters reading this, that was a piece of bread and jam not a firearm). I was working in an office at the time and the boss's son from London was working with us for a bit to experience of life of the workers before he took over as a company director. I remember having a row with him because he thought that the play was a fantasy as no one lived in such squalor, he claimed. It was he that lived in a fantasy.

Hello Michael, now here is a coincidence for you !! The "adoptive" mother of David Turner was a Mrs Watts & she was our English teacher at Tilton Road School. She invited a small group of girls to visit her at her home (we thought it was posh..they had cups AND saucers) !! A chap put his head around the door of the room we were in & quickly retreated on seeing giggly schoolgirls...the same David Turner who taught you. We probably gave Mrs Watts a hard time at the school but I have never forgotten her.

Margaret.

Amazing; we always got on with David Turner at school. He was young and so related to our generation. He wrote and read short stories on the radio at the time but was very shy about it. We did have a cheeky nickname for him though. We called him Isaiah, (according to us) he had one eye higher than the other

[video=youtube;BqeFp-ChxTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeFp-ChxTs[/video]

As I first remembered Roy as a child.

Amazing; we always got on with David Turner at school. He was young and so related to our generation. He wrote and read short stories on the radio at the time but was very shy about it. We did have a cheeky nickname for him though. We called him Isaiah, (according to us) he had one eye higher than the other

I, too, was taught by David Turner in the 1950s at Handsworth Grammar School. He taught us History - I still have one of my old History exercise books with his comments inscribed in red on my work on 'Henry and the Barons'! Sometimes, Mr Turner would interrupt his lesson and read one of his short stories to us. A few weeks later, we'd hear him reading the same story live on the wireless.
I remember one story, called (I think) "The Grizzler", was about a street violinist. One line of dialogue (in broad Brummie accent) went, "Woy do thy call 'im the grizzler?"; "'Cause 'e moanz an' grizzles!'. David Turner died in 1990, aged only 63.
Unfortunately, the picture of him (below), from a panoramic school photo taken in 1954, fails to show one eye higher than the other!
David Turner 1954.jpg David Turner has an entry in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Turner_(dramatist)

Yes I went to school with him. I lived in summer lane he went to st Luke's school.
Not far from five ways. I remember him telling about whistle down the win

Back