• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roundabout fair ride Bull Ring

The old Midland Education was in Corporation Street near the New Street end.... this was back in the early 1960's... I suppose opposite C & A (can you remember that store... C = Cheap & A = Attractive) or C and Amose ... we also knew it as)... I believe the Midland Ed then moved up near to where Lewis's was. so that would have been near the subways. I left Birmingham in 1966... Georgie
Georgie. My better half now informs me that it was more like 25 years ago than 10+. C & A was known as "Coats and Ats" with the H dropped from it.

Gosta Green

C & A was sometimes known as Cheap & Awful. Despite that I had many a dress or coat from there. When I was very young there was a C & A next door or very near to the Odeon on New Street.

C & A was sometimes known as Cheap & Awful. Despite that I had many a dress or coat from there. When I was very young there was a C & A next door or very near to the Odeon on New Street.

Yes Sylvia I got all my Suits etc from C&A in the mid 70s and I've still got some, Question do they still fit :Aah: but they were good value:)

(C)ool & (A)dequate

I used to love that roundabout, I remember that, I let my first son go on it. I noticed the lady wearing a headscarf.....that's a rare sight nowadays!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember a Tesco's or Argos. But I wouldn't I'd moved on by then. :)

The Bullring Roundabout

Where, in the present Bulling, do you think the roundabout was situated?
If you see what I mean.

Now think about it.... As I recall, it was at the top end of Digbeth, over the conveniences that were never open and it overlooked the lower market stalls. I think Nelson's statue was nearby.

Were it still there, I reckon it would be somewhere on the ramp that leads up to the side of Selfridges, overlooking the 'Beach'. :)

What do you think folks?

John

bull ring roundabout

it would have been where the balcony around selfridges is now overlooking st martins church

Back