• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rotunda

dwilly

master brummie
I seem to remember a time when Ansells had some form of sponsorship around the Rotunda. I seem to remember a squirrel rolling his nuts around the top of the Rotunda but no one else I speak to seems to remember this. Was it all a dream or does anyone else remember the squirrel?

The squirrel is or was the logo for Ansells Brewery. It comes from the Holte family who lived in Aston Hall at one time. I am sure there is a photo somewhere of the Ansells advertising band on the Rotunda years ago. Anybody have one?

Pete can't remember that one and he was a brewer at the old ansells from 1971 till the plant closed down. Jean.

Being in the sign game all my life I can answer this.
There was an Ansells sign around the top of the rotunda.
The other sign at the end of Moor St. was the original Scweppes neon sign on the end of the multi storey car park, they were in trouble at one time with the health authorities because behind the sign was a small room which was used for repairing the neon sections, and it was contaminated with mercury-mercury being used in neon signs to enable the tubing to light evenly.

Jennyanne I still have swimming club medals with the Ansells squrriel on. They sponsered Aston SC. Jean.

Jean have you tried scanning your medal or use a digital camera I am sure it would be of interest

Hi all, if you haven't already, take a look at pages 27 and 28 of the 'See Birmingham by Postcard' thread for some more on this thread subject.
Mike

There definitely WAS a squirrel on the Rotunda, rolling acorns, not nuts. I have never seen a picture yet, but you aint going daft.

Thanks postie the men in the white jackets were just knocking on the door, showed them your post and they have gone away, for the time being

Not all of Birmingham’s loved buildings are ancient; the Rotunda was built in the 60’s along with Herbert Manzoni’s idea of a modern Bull Ring. The Rotunda was met with as lot of hostility from the people of Birmingham when it was first built, but it seems to have grown on us over the years. When there were threats of demolishing it in 2004 the idea was met with an equal amount of hostility.

The Rotunda now a Grade II listed building was designed by James. A. Roberts as part of the new Bull Ring Design. It cost around £1 million and is 81 metres high. The original idea of a revolving restaurant on the top floor was abandoned and from the original design of 12 floors a few more floors were added. The result was 25 floors, 23 above ground and 2 below.

The building was opened in 1965 being mostly offices with some shops on the lower ground floor and a pub and a bank at street level. The top of the building sported a digital clock and various illuminated advertisements over the years. In 1974 terrorists bombed the Mulberry Bush public house at the base of the tower, one of two bombings in close proximity resulting in many deaths and horrific injuries. After structural tests the tower was declared safe for use.

With the latest rebirth of the Bull Ring there came talks of demolishing the Rotunda, but after an outcry from the people it was decided to renovate it and incorporate it with the new Bull Ring. Urban Splash & Glen Howells Architects converted the bulk of the building into 232 luxury Apartments with the rest of it remaining in commercial use the building was closed from 2004 until 2008 while this was achieved.

The photos attached are of the Rotunda during the various phases of its development.

Phil

CityRotunda1_opt.jpg
CityRotunda2_opt.jpg

CityRotunda3_opt.jpg
CityRotunda4_opt.jpg
CityRotunda5_opt.jpg

Great building Phil, a building that should definitely stay. Interesting to see the phases of development in your photos. One thing that always intrigued me about the construction was what materials they used. Was the outside covered with concrete blocks and were these curved? Or did they use regular building blocks and created the curves, if you see what I mean? !! Viv.

Vivienne

I'm no Architect so you will have to forgive me if I get this wrong, but as far as I understand it all the floors except for the top one are supported by a central reinforced concrete pillar. The exterior walls are for decoration and weatherproofing only.

I fact in the recent upgrade most of the upper floor exterior walls were replaced with glass.

Phil

Yes Phil you are correct, the exterior cladding is called ‘curtain walling’ because it ‘hangs’ in the central superstructure.

Thanks Phil and Morturn. I expect the type of construction helped to limit the damage from the 70s bomb. I think this is one of those buildings that is immediately identifiable as Birmingham. So it was a good move to make it listed. Viv.

Superb photos Ell. Shows so well what a great piece of design this is. I like the new makeover too. It seems to have given it a more industrial look, almost like some component from a machine! Interesting. Viv.

It fits in well with the new Bullring.

I remember the old one when it looked like a can of Coca Cola (even said Coca Cola on it at one point!).

I remember going with my Girl Guide troop to the top of the Rotunda (I think someone had a connection with the architect or builder), it must have been just before or after it was completed. We stood on the balcony at the top and were told that it swayed slightly in high winds!

The Rotunda always signified home for me when I was away in Northampton training - as soon as I could see it from the train or after I got off the coach, I felt I'd returned, despite having another trip to Tamworth then!!!
Sue

The Rotunda is a Birmingham icon but how many people know there is another one in Hungary. This post card of the Hotel Budapest came as a surprise to me.
Hotel_Budapest.jpg

smashing pic mike...thank you for posting it...i didnt realise there was another one...

lyn

Wonder which came first and whether the B'ham Rotunda architect had any connection? Seems very, very similar to be pure coincidence. Viv.

Back