• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roston Family

GarthJh

Brummie babby
Hi everyone, I've just joined! My grandfather was Frank Roston who was born in Aston in late 1880's. His family also lived in Handsworth. I have an old photograph of a hardware shop with the name Rostons Stores clearly written on the window. Judging from the style and dress of the man standing in the doorway, I reckon it was taken in the 1920-30's. I wonder if anyone knows of this shop or family? The census data to 1901 list William Roston as a gun worker (BSA?) but there is no reference to a hardware store.

Your help please!

Thanks

Garth

:angel: Hi and welcome to this great site GarthJh.
If by any chance you could scan and post the pic' that you have on this thread. Someone may recognise the shop, and or the area the photo was taken in. Thanx

Pom

GarthJH, Welcome to this great site. What a brilliant photo I do hope someone can help you. Have you any birth death or wedding certificates, this can some times throw some light on these mysteries.

Garth thats a great start to your joining this great Forum.

Mantles and those dolly's, Wicker Baskets & Wash Boards

Garth 1891 Census

Roston William Age 23 Lappes Ammunition Works

Ada .E 24

Son Frank 3

Address:

Court No 1. 5. Clifford Street Aston Aston Manor. Birmingham

The Son Young Frank Born 1888 could be the one you are after he would be 13 in 1901

Rostons Stores - where was it?

Hi Alf

No it's not Frank - he was my grandfather. He moved to Derby and sadly died very young (aged 35) of meningitis.

I think it may be his father William but can't be sure. I have no record of him in a shop. He was an engine fitter in 1901 census living in Holyhead Rd, Handsworth. He had previously been a bicycle maker! Maybe he took up shopkeeping in later life - he was only 34 in 1901. His life will have changed in the World War, I guess.

Garth

Hi Garth, if you haven't already done so, you might have some success if you post in the Kelly's section, asking for shops with the name Roston after WW1. John will find him if he is there.:)

Roston's Stores.

Garthjh. He must have acquired the business around the 1920's but just as it has been said, trade directories will narrow it down to around the time the business was acquired by him.
SORRY just seen your post about 1915, best of luck.

at the moment this is the only shop I have found not a million miles from Handsworth, other Roston's betweeen 1915 -1921 are medical people
Kelly's 1921
William J Roston
Ironmonger
414 Aston Lane
Witton

Back