• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Pagett born 1880 birmingham

I think I may have found Rose/Rosannah on the 1921 census.

Age is incorrect and she is listed as married but her birthplace is West Bromwich and her occupation is Laundry Work.

She is listed as Rose Pagatt, a lodger at 65 Moseley St, a lodging house that appears to cater exclusively to women. Don't think the children are there.

Age is incorrect and she is listed as married but her birthplace is West Bromwich and her occupation is Laundry Work.

She is listed as Rose Pagatt, a lodger at 65 Moseley St, a lodging house that appears to cater exclusively to women. Don't think the children are there.
Ah thanks for that. I'm currently struggling with accessing the 1921 census on FMP. I asked mum last night if she knew whether her Dad was actually lived with Rose as a boy and she genuinely didn't know. She said the name Price was familiar too.
Anyway, digging through some old records and I found an electoral record showing a Rose Pagett living in what appears to be a female only lodging house in 1930 at New Canal St, not dissimilar to what you found on the 1921 census?

Attachments

• 73 New Canal St 1930.jpg
    73 New Canal St 1930.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 3

hi mark what year born is she on the 21...do you have the original census page ?

lyn

I can only look at the transcript and not the original copy of the 1921 census at the moment. Interestingly, it says her place of birth is Nineveh Road (though misspelt), West Bromwich. Rose's family are recorded as living on Nineveh Lane (Handsworth) on the 1871 census. I think they're the same place.

hi paul just going through your summary on post 14 where you say

in April 1938 she marries George Barrett at the Register Office in B'ham. She listed as Rosannah Price, a 55 year old widow with no given occupation living at 177B Harvington Road, Weoley Castle.
The 1939 register shows Rose/Rosanna (a laundry hand) and George to be living at 177B Harvington Road, Weoley Castle/Northfield.

so does this mean that rose was previously married and i take it as you have this info that you also have her marr cert to george barrett...if so could we see it please and also if she was previously marr to a price do you have that marr cert...

lyn

I couldn't find a Price marriage. She could have fibbed - we've seen that before.
yes my thoughts about a price marr jan...as you say we have seen it many times and again we have to sometimes think outside the box

yes my thoughts about a price marr jan...as you say we have seen it many times and again we have to sometimes think outside the box
I have her marriage certificate to Barrett. The only clues I have about her being married to someone called Price are the details on her sons service record and the 1935 electoral roll. It may be she lived with James Price and took his surname but didn't actually marry him. I'm told she was a very dishonest woman and not particularly pleasant.

Attachments

• Electoral Register, 1935 - Edgbaston Division (Market Hall - District - 182).pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Rose Barrett marriage cert.pdf
    158.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Rose addresses from Freds service record.JPG
    Rose addresses from Freds service record.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 9
hi paul just going back to when you said that rose had another child walter...could just be coinsidence but there is a walter pagett born 1907 on the 1911 census inmate of marsden green homes for children also a couple of poss births for walter ..i think that before 1911 the mothers maiden name was not stated but a search of the GRO may find them

Walter Pagett
Registration Date1907[1907]
Quarter of the YearJan-Feb-Mar
Registration PlaceAston, Warwickshire, England
Volume6d
Page213

Walter Pagett
Registration Date1906[1906]
Quarter of the YearJul-Aug-Sep
Registration PlaceBirmingham, Warwickshire, England
Volume6d
Page158

lyn

Last edited:
From GRO
The other one is reg with mmn Baker so we can rule out the 1907 one.

1700913625301.png
It is available as a digital image (£2.50) so might be worth taking the risk. Can't guarantee it is the one Lyn found on 1911 census nor Rose's son but it might fit.

Thanks both. I spoke to mum again last night. She said her Dad never spoke about his upbringing so that's a dead end. She said Albert was the youngest so Walter could be older than Fred and the chap you found in the 1911 census could be the right one. Mum never met Walter, all she knows is that he didn't have any children.
When I get time, I'll look at the GRO ref you provided and see what it says.

thats great paul at least we now know there was another son..gut feeling told me he could be the one...so there is a chance the walter i found in 1911 aged 4 at marsden green childrens home could be him but no certainty..

lyn

poss one in the 1921 trade directory and also 2 possibles on the 1921 census...nothing definate yet just having a look around but worth remembering

lyn

Resul

Walter Pagett
RegionBirmingham
Residence Year1921
Publication Title1921 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham
OccupationHair Dresser
Street Address330 Soho road, Handsworth

TRUE BRUMMIE
Quote Reply
IP
Prev

[IMG alt="Astoness"]https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/data/avatars/m/2/2686.jpg?1699856536[/IMG]

Last edited:
also paul here is the 1921 transcript and original for the rose pagett mark mentioned...age is well out and she states she was married and born in ninevah road (which is off soho road) west bromwich

oddly enough the poss 21 trade directory i found for a walter pagett hairdresser is at 330 soho road

lyn

thumbnail (87).jpg

Transcript of Rose's record​

First name(s)Rose
Address65 Moseley Street
Last namePagatt
Full address as transcribed65 Moceley St, B'Ham
SexFemale
ParishBirmingham
Birth year1889
Registration districtBirmingham
Census date19 June 1921
Registration district number384
Age in years32
Sub-districtSt Martin's
Age in months2
Sub-district number4
Age as transcribed32 y 2 m
Enumeration district number38
Relationship to headLodger
CountyWarwickshire
Marital statusMarried
CountryEngland
Birth placeWest Bromwich, Staffordshire, England
Ward of borough or urban districtSt Martin & Deritend
Birth townWest Bromwich
Parliamentary borough or divisionBirmingham PB, Deritend Div.
Birth countyStaffordshire
Archive
Download all attachments as a zip file

Last edited:
also paul here is the 1921 transcript and original for the rose pagett mark mentioned...age is well out and she states she was married and born in ninevah road (which is off soho road) west bromwich

oddly enough the poss 21 trade directory i found for a walter pagett hairdresser is at 330 soho road

lyn

View attachment 186404

First name(s)Rose
Address65 Moseley Street
Last namePagatt
SexFemale
ParishBirmingham
Birth year1889
Census date19 June 1921
Age in years32
Sub-districtSt Martin's
Age in months2
Sub-district number4
CountyWarwickshire
Marital statusMarried
CountryEngland
Ward of borough or urban districtSt Martin & Deritend
Birth townWest Bromwich
Archive
Thanks for this! I think this could be my great gran, apart from the age, there's enough coincidences to be her. Plus she likely told a lot of fibs!

lyn

View attachment 186404

First name(s)Rose
Address65 Moseley Street
Last namePagatt
SexFemale
ParishBirmingham
Birth year1889
Census date19 June 1921
Age in years32
Sub-districtSt Martin's
Age in months2
Sub-district number4
CountyWarwickshire
Marital statusMarried
CountryEngland
Ward of boroug P h or urban districtSt Martin & Deritend
Birth townWest Bromwich
Archive
Had another look at the 1921 census, found record of a 3 year old boy called Albert Pagett in the Selly Oak Workhouse as an inmate. It says his mother is alive and he was born in Birmingham. Could well be Rose's youngest who was born in 1918.
There is another twist but it's hard to explain and probably a dead end...

thats great paul at least we now know there was another son..gut feeling told me he could be the one...so there is a chance the walter i found in 1911 aged 4 at marsden green childrens home could be him but no certainty..

lyn
Some records from Marston Green are at the library bt are subject to the 100 year rule so may not be available to look at

Have you found Frederick in 1921?
I thought I had. This is a bit complicated....I found a 7 year old Frederick Pagett living off Wills St in Smethwick, that's the address Rose gave on Albert's birth certificate in 1918. The head of the house is a Richard Pagett who I believe was Rose's brother (his age ties in with the 1881 and 1891 census'). Frederick was listed as his son and I wondered if that was my grandad but the 1939 register shows him to be still living with Richard and having been born in 1915 (my grandad Fred was born in 1914).

I think Frederick and Walter are listed as Payer inmates in 'cottage homes' in the Smethwick parish.
I think you're right, the ages look right, it says mother alive and (I think) father unknown. They were at the Cottage Homes, Shenley Fields.
Thank you so much for your help!

Back