• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rootes Birmingham

rocketron

Gratified Brummie
Hi I’m looking for photos of Rootes Birmingham in Charllote Street, and Coventry Road Small Heath later known as George Heath Motors.

Ron

i think there is a photo for you towards the middle of a video on youtube called Birmingham old photos. i tried to attach but couldnt do it but im sure you will find it ok. details as below

playlist results for birmingham old photos bmag9museum

Thanks Shera, Unfortunately its not Rootes Birmingham the main dealer owned by Rootes Group. But I did enjoy watching the clip, the tram photos brought back memories.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDEhmE70gq8"]YouTube - Hillman IMP Part1[/ame] Not a photo of George Heath Motors, but a story of the Hillman Imp. Len.

Very interesting Len, would you believe I was one of those apprentices road testing the Imp.

We covered a fair few miles every day, one route being. Linwwod, Ayr, Stranraer, Dumfries back to Linwwod.

What more could a young man want, a nippy little car free petrol and the freedom to cover as many miles as he could in a day.

I helped to develop the Hillman Imp I was a customer ;)
Once I had helped Rootes to sort it out, it was a nice little car, I could out-corner Minis most of the time. I learnt to drive in one, and I part-exchanged my first one for another. Enjoyed the Video.
oldmohawk
:)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwpveLMpE3k"]YouTube - Hillman IMp Part 2[/ame] Hillman Imp part2, rocketron, what more could an apprentice want, more pay?!. Len.

I helped to develop the Hillman Imp I was a customer ;)
Once I had helped Rootes to sort it out, it was a nice little car, I could out-corner Minis most of the time. I learnt to drive in one, and I part-exchanged my first one for another. Enjoyed the Video.
oldmohawk
:)

I had an Imp lovely car to work on you could get the engine out in 15 minutes just put blocks of wood under it take the back bumper off undo a few bolts and just push the body out of the way and there was your engine ready to work on.Dek

Yes, Stitcher, it was. All the names used to be in lights all the way round the building. Humber, Hillman, Sunbeam, Singer, etc, etc. - at least I think I have them right. I was buy young then!

Yes shortie is correct i know i lived across the rd from it on the cocventry rd and seen the demolition of it as well and when the car sales was reformed and set up and i seen the disapeareance of there sales fore court ; and watched the building of asda daily fom our housefront room on the coventry facing asda super store and watch the wekly or fornight robberys of there stores on a fortninghtly basis even thou they had security ;
they used to ram raid the front revolving doors and there fag counter was only a couple of feet inside the door ;
they must have spent a fortune in the early years of opening ; but eventualy they finaly got it together and changed the whol concept ;
best wishes Astonian

Hi Astonian

Well I only went to live there (South Yardley) in 1956 and that was only for five years, so I did not see any changes taking place. That is not to say I did not know about them, because I regularly visit a friend who lives in Common Lane, Sheldon. I don't actually drive down the Coventry Road all of the way, because I take the by-pass from Watery Lane. I have seen to Asda store but never been inside. I have fond memories of how the Coventry Road in Small Heath, used to be. I used to go to the swimming baths (never could swim though) and knew all the shops/buildings on the bus route. I know things have to alter, but it had 'flavour', now it is rather more bland.

Shortie

My first car was a singer(lord only knows which model) and I felt sure I went that building for a spare part. It was over fifty years ago so the memory is a trifle vague.

I worked for Rootes on Cov Rd after I got out of the RAF for a while, rode my bike to work every day rain snow or shine. The worst job I ever had! cost accounting boring! Hillman humber singer sunbeam etc. Often wondered if the place is still there. John Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

I am the proud owner of a 1966 Singer Vogue, 34.000 miles from new registered in London but never left Cornwall, I am only the second owner, first owner was a Doctor in Redruth, he passed away in 1975, his wife locked it away in the garage , I came across it last year and spent two weeks getting it ready for the road and spent this year going to local car shows.
Just as a last word, I drove a van for John Morgan, Camden Street, he made sun visors and mirrors for all the motor makers including Rootes so I probably delivered the sun visors in my Singer.

Hi,
my dad worked at Rootes in the mid-60's before we emigrated to America in '68. His name is Ronald Fellows. He was a draughtsman in the engineering department. He would have been in his early 30's at the time, if anyone remembers.
kevin

My lovely late brother in law Ray Middleton worked at Roots after he came out of the Air Force. He worked there until he retired by that time it was Peugeot. He was the stores manager then parts manager.

It was indeed a Rootes Factory...In fact, the only Rootes Factory that was in Birmingham...
There were 4 Advertising Slogans on the top of the Building that read "Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam, Singer"....(Not sure whether I got them in the right order)
I worked next door at George Heath Motors....Our Building was to the left of the photo and the Rootes Social Club was to the right.
Used to go to "Bedders" for Lunch....Best Chipshop on the Planet...
At the time I lived in Newbridge Road which was a 15 minutes walk to work...
I think I have some old Photos of the Rootes Building...Will need to go and dig in the "Archives" for them!!!!!
Brian

Back