• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rocky lane cafe

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
A cracking painting of the Rocky Lane Café by Arthur Lockwood.

Attachments

• rocky lane cafe.jpg
    rocky lane cafe.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 68
That is a great painting Postie. are the windows crossed with anti-blast tape as they were in the war? This is the area my Mothers family came from & I wonder f this was the pub she was sent to to fetch a jug from?

thanks for sharing it with us

yes indeed and that rocky lane aston was my grand parents my mothers family
namely the jelfs during the war years as many peoleknow already and myself and bazzm worked across the rd at the tubes foundry
and the pub was the hen and chickens Astonian;;

Rowan, I think they are window guards that some insurance companies used to insist on.

Can see what you mean Rowan. My friend Carol Wright lived in Rockey lane when I was at school and we went in there a few times. Had forgot about the cafe until postie put the photo on.

hi there
its nice to see the old picture from the old archives as i recall seeing this picture way back on here quite afew years back now
and i down loaded it at the first time showin it nice to see some of the old disapearng picts are slowly coming back
after all this time as i seem to recall afew just of late and may i add that this coffee shop is still standing next to the old pub on rocky lane today
but with a new remoderenised frontage with moderen signs and name still serving the empoyees of the old forge across the rd [ being old tubes ]
which also as a new company running and produceing what bazzm and myself produced in our hey day
have a crackng day folks i am off to sunny bermuda village nuneaton warickshire its one of the orinional coal minders village with its tiny little orinional houses
my sister in law whom lives there she used to live next door to the hydraulic pub lodge d hocley on the corner of all saints rd if any body remembers it ;
best wishes Astonian;;

Hi,
I'm new to the Forum but what I've seen so far is very interesting.

Does anyone, please have any photographs of the houses in Rocky lane that were bombed during WW2 ?

During the war my family lived at number 1 Rocky Lane.
My Grandfather was stationed on the south coast, his role was to operate the large anti-aircraft guns that would shoot at Hitler’s planes as they flew towards our coastline. While he was away defending our country, my Grandmother took her younger children to visit her eldest daughter (my Auntie) who had married and moved into a house in Weoley Castle.

My Auntie was obviously worried about her Mother and younger family members going home to Rocky Lane and insisted that the family stayed the night in Weoley Castle.

They stayed the night and the next morning they went home to number 1 Rocky Lane.
When they arrived home their home had been bombed during the night. The house was flattened, with smoke and flames coming from the rubble. All people in neighbouring properties had been killed during the nights bombings.

If it wasn’t for the fact that my auntie had insisted the family stay in Weoley Castle that particular night, this side of our family would not exist.

If anyone has any pictures of Rocky Lane, in particular number One, before and hopefully showing that the houses that had been bombed, I would very much appreciate seeing them, please.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back