• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Robinsons/ Harris/ Stych/ Gillams

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
Most of these families originated in Aston Mainly around the old vicarage road. My grandparents were Annie & Alfred Harris and they had a greengrocers shop in Vicarage road. Annie died in 1954 when I was 8, but we had such happy times together they have been etched on my mind Any family or cousins out there? From a old exiled brummie

Looking for any Robinsons/ Harris/ Stych/ Gillams

Hi Lynda

We had Gillams living next to us at 2/13 Vicarage Road. Alec worked at the Dunlop as I recall and his wife, Sheila ( think that was her name) had around 13 kids. My sister Jean (also in this forum) might know more because she's older than me and might remember the fruit shop. Is that any help?

Regards

Nipper

I certainly do remember the Gillams. In order of appearance they were Alfie, David, Sheila, Josie, Raymond, Robert, Sylvie, and about 5 more at that time. I remember the greengrocers shop and went to the movies at the Vic with Mrs. Gillam (Josephine) and all the kids a few times. If you want some stories Lynda, send me an email.

A robinson by name

I'm a Robinson, what names in particular are you looking for? it may be a smaller world than we think.

Robinsons

Hya Kandor
The last Robinson I know of was my Grandmother who lived in Vicarage Road and died in 1954 Her name was Annie Harris. Her father was Richard Robinson and as far as I can see they all originated in Aston and thereabouts since the year dot. Does it ring any bells with you?
regards Lynda

Robinsons reign

My Grandafather was Sam Robinson, he lived on a small holding in a place called 'Forge Mills' Water Orton.. which is where my uncles , one aunt and father were born.
It was compulsary purchased just around 1920 to build of all things Hams Hall powerstation..
So one minute they were living in the countryside having an idylic life then the next living in inner city Nechells.
It was shortly after moving that my Grandmother died giving birth to my Uncle Les...from then on, Grandad became a heavy drinker and frankly gave my family a terrible life.
My Dad was John (Jack( Robinson, then Reginald Robinson, Eva Robinson and Les Robinson.

I've traced The Robinson Line back to 1840 when William Frederick Robinson married Betsy Parkes in the Parish Church in Edbaston. His father was Richard George Robinson, but I cannot get back any further without Parish records. William and Betsy had at least 1 son also named Richard George Robinson who married Mary Ann Morgan from Charlton Kings in Gloucestershire(How did they meet?) God knows. They were my Grandmothers parents (is that maternal?) and their children were Richard, Rosanna (who became a Stych) Annie (who became a Harris) Priscilla who married a Willey, William and Alice. They ended up in 1901 at 55 Vicarage Road and according to this site were still there in the 1920's. I need some more census sites to widen out the family before 1881. Richard George must have had brothers and sisters. Perhaps will find out one day. Have more info on the Harris's for another day.
Lynda

Harris Family

Hi Lynda

My g.g. grandmother was Rosanna Harris, who married Henry Daley on 8th December 1856 at St.Peter, Dale End, she was 19 years old. Her father was named as William Harris a puddler. Rosanna was widowed
and married again on 7th September 1885 again at St. Peter's, to George
Syron, but this time gave her father's name as JOHN Harris, and lived in
Chapel Street. I have been unable to find anything else about the Harris
line to date. Does this connect with your line?

Harris family

Dear Sylvia
There are that many Harris's. almost as many as the Robinsons! My grandfather was Alfred Harris and his father and mother Joseph and Ann Harris who originated from Overbury in Worcestershire. The had 3 girls when they were first married, Rachel, Mary Ann and Jane. They lived in Bishops Cleeve for a while and were there in 1851. I've lost them then until the 1881 census where Alfred and Louisa Harris are said to have been born in brum. Alfred was born in 1868 but how many more children they had before that, and where they were before then remains a mystery for the time being. But we keep on searching
Kind regards
Lynda

My grandmothers maiden name was Emma Robinson and she was born in 1889. Long Lane Blackheath/Quinton. Her fathers name was Joseph Robinson. She had a brother William who married Eliza and moved to Polesworth where he was a coalminer. Her brother Frank became a policeman in Kidderminster. Her brother George married a woman called Ginnie or Jinnie. My Grandmother married Joseph William Caffrey in 1907.

Morning Les
You were up late last night weren't you?
My grandmother was Elizabeth Ann Robinson and her family came from the Aston area. Will have a look at the census later and go through my records. Thanks very much for you posting, and will be in touch later.
Lynda

Re: Looking for any Robinsons/ Harris/ Stych/ Gillams

Hi

Not sure if this thread is still open. My father is Brian Arthur Harris who was born in Aston, His father was Charles Alfred Harris who married Eva Gladys Sitch. They lived in Villa Street and had Raymond Charles Harris and my father. Raymond died at aged 18 and Eva shortly before. Charles' father was Thomas Harris and was a toolsetter.

Thanks

Well I saw the name Harris and Stych together which made me sit up and take notice ! One of my ancestors was Caroline Eleanor Styche who married John Keight. I would like more info on Harris` too ! My grandmother was Cissie Harris going back to Henry Harris born abt 1835 (?)

Hello there
My maiden name was Harris and we originated in Overbury in Worcestershire. There were a few Henry's in the family and I can remember the name Aunty Cissie. but cannot really identify her at present. The family ended up in Vicarage Road Aston if that helps, also Nechells Park Road. Jo Harris Married Alec Stych and they were a very large family living in the same area. The Henry I recall was my dads brother and was always known as Bade ( his second name was Baden).
Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a connection.
Lynda:)

One of Josephines sons is a family friend I'll give him the site details and I'm sure heel be in touch
Lowie

Hello there
My maiden name was Harris and we originated in Overbury in Worcestershire. There were a few Henry's in the family and I can remember the name Aunty Cissie. but cannot really identify her at present. The family ended up in Vicarage Road Aston if that helps, also Nechells Park Road. Jo Harris Married Alec Stych and they were a very large family living in the same area. The Henry I recall was my dads brother and was always known as Bade ( his second name was Baden).
Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a connection.
Lynda:)

Hi Lynda, I haven't done a great deal of research about the Harris` but you've got me started again now....
Im not sure if it is the same family as there would have been a few Henry Harris`. I`ll try and find some more info but My Grandfather had 7 siblings so there's gonna be lots of them !
He was born & possibly grew up in 71 Bordesley Green.

Most of these families originated in Aston Mainly around the old vicarage road. My grandparents were Annie & Alfred Harris and they had a greengrocers shop in Vicarage road. Annie died in 1954 when I was 8, but we had such happy times together they have been etched on my mind Any family or cousins out there? From a old exiled brummie
Hi Lynda
I’m laura, My dad was Robert Gillam, 1 of the 14 kids that was born.
I’m so interested in finding out more about our family history.
We must be related.

Back