• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Robert Vaughton/ Mary Ann Dymoke

florna

knowlegable brummie
I have relatives who lived in Vaughton Street, Dymoke Street and Emily Street in the 1860's. I understand these names were related. Can someone tell me who Robert Vaughton was and why his family should have streets named after them? I believe the street names are still in use.
Thanks in anticipation
Dave

hello Dave - this is a bit puzzling as although I can find mentions of the streets being named after the Vaughton family no one seems to explain who Robert Vaughton was.

I have found - using various web sites - that Robert Darwin Voughton/Vaughton (b.1795 - d.1851) married Mary Ann Dymoke (b.1809 -d.1881)
They had a son Robert Dymoke Vaughton.

Robert Dymoke Vaughton was a Lieutenant colonel he married Emily Boultbee (b.1826)
Emily Boultbee was the daughter of Joseph Moore Boultbee (b.1791-d.1860 - buried Balsall, Warwickshire) and Lady Elizabeth Margaret Townshend (b.1791-d.1868) who married at Baddesley Clinton in 1815

Lady Elizabeth Margaret Townshend was the daughter of of George Townshend, 2nd Marquess Townshend (b.1753 -d.1811) and Charlotte Ellerker (d.1802)
One of their other daughters, Lady Harriet Anne Townshend (d.1845) - Married Edward Ferrers in 1813 - he lived at Baddesley Clinton (which possibly explains why her younger sister Lady Elizabeth Margaret got married there). Baddesley Clinton is the large moated manor house owned by the National Trust.

According to google maps the Streets are still there in B12 there is also a Darwin street.

Robert Dymoke Vaughton obviously married into a wealthy family but maybe the Vaughtons were wealthy too - without more information on the Vaughtons it is difficult to say who once owned the land where the streets are.

An old map may help solve whose estate the land was on.
Polly

hello Dave - this is a bit puzzling as although I can find mentions of the streets being named after the Vaughton family no one seems to explain who Robert Vaughton was.

I have found - using various web sites - that Robert Darwin Voughton/Vaughton (b.1795 - d.1851) married Mary Ann Dymoke (b.1809 -d.1881)
They had a son Robert Dymoke Vaughton.

Robert Dymoke Vaughton was a Lieutenant colonel he married Emily Boultbee (b.1826)
Emily Boultbee was the daughter of Joseph Moore Boultbee (b.1791-d.1860 - buried Balsall, Warwickshire) and Lady Elizabeth Margaret Townshend (b.1791-d.1868) who married at Baddesley Clinton in 1815

Lady Elizabeth Margaret Townshend was the daughter of of George Townshend, 2nd Marquess Townshend (b.1753 -d.1811) and Charlotte Ellerker (d.1802)
One of their other daughters, Lady Harriet Anne Townshend (d.1845) - Married Edward Ferrers in 1813 - he lived at Baddesley Clinton (which possibly explains why her younger sister Lady Elizabeth Margaret got married there). Baddesley Clinton is the large moated manor house owned by the National Trust.

According to google maps the Streets are still there in B12 there is also a Darwin street.

Robert Dymoke Vaughton obviously married into a wealthy family but maybe the Vaughtons were wealthy too - without more information on the Vaughtons it is difficult to say who once owned the land where the streets are.

An old map may help solve whose estate the land was on.
Polly

Thanks Polly
I got the same as you for the first part. I didn't go further to Baddesley Clinton!!
If you look at what Jennyann has sent you will see that he was a bit above the average!
Thanks for your help
Dave

Back