• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rober Mason and Elizabeth Hughes

Mikmik

I'm trying to look up my ancestry and found Robert Mason to live in 23 Severn Street, Nelson savern, Birmingham Warwickshire. I assume this address doesn't exist anymore but any information about them would be so helpful!

Hi Mikmik and welcome to the forum. Is this the Robert mason you are researching, this is 1868 ?

Attachments

• robert-mason-1868.jpg
    robert-mason-1868.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 8
This is a map from 1889 showing Severn Street, it's difficult to say which was No. 23 as the numbering system probably changed over the years. The houses are long gone, Severn Street runs alongside The Mailbox.

Attachments

• severn-st-map.jpg
    severn-st-map.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 5
Thank you!! How amazing to see what it was like back then. This Is very informative. How can I find more information about him and his wide, Elizabeth Hughes Mason and their children? Thank you

Thank you!! How amazing to see what it was like back then. This Is very informative. How can I find more information about him and his wide, Elizabeth Hughes Mason and their children? Thank you
There are numerous experts on the forum, they need as much information as possible e.g. date of birth, death, marriage, siblings, mothers maiden name etc. I'm sure they will advise the best route to take.

It looks like they lived at No. 8 in 1851.

Attachments

• 8-severn-st.jpg
    8-severn-st.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 5
This is probably him in Navigation Street in 1841. I use Ancestry for my research but I wouldn't class myself as an expert, you will find many members are quite happy to help.

Attachments

• 1841-census-robert-mason.jpg
    1841-census-robert-mason.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 3
There is somebody on Ancestry that has already carried out considerable research into Robert Mason (born 12/4/1793 Edinburgh) & married to Elizabeth Watts (Not Hughes so could be the wrong Robert). I can't find a marriage certificate but I'm sure an expert member will be able to find one.
Ancestry occasionally have a 'free trial' weekend it may be worth trying this if you don't want the expense of subscribing, there are other sites which members prefer so be guided by them.

Mikmik, I have attached three news reports concerning your Robert Mason that you may not have seen.

Attachments

• Robert Mason in the news.jpg
    Robert Mason in the news.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 8
There is somebody on Ancestry that has already carried out considerable research into Robert Mason (born 12/4/1793 Edinburgh) & married to Elizabeth Watts (Not Hughes so could be the wrong Robert). I can't find a marriage certificate but I'm sure an expert member will be able to find one.

It is not easy to be sure of things pre-1841. Especially with more popular names.

Apart from the John and Alfred on the 1841 census I think they may have had 2 daughters Isabella and Sarah Ann.

John was born/baptised in Manchester, which is where Isabella and Sarah Ann were born.

There is a baptism for a Robert Hughes Mason, son of Robert & Elizabeth, in Hertford 1830 and Elizabeth in 1832 but not sure if they are connected.

Their son Alfred was born 1828, so that would mean that they went from Manchester to Bham to Hertford and then back to Bham.

The Robert Hughes Mason from Hertford appears to have emigrated to South Africa so probably not connected.

Robert Hughes Mason (1830-1904) is a great-granduncle of my husband. His parents were Robert Mason (1800 -1870) and Elizabeth Hughes (1808 - ?). Robert Mason was born in Oxton, Nottingham and died in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. Elizabeth Hughes was born in London. I don't know where she died, but it must have been in South Africa, as Robert left his farm (in Natal) to her in his will. They were married on 3 June 1828 in London.
Robert Hughes Mason is recorded on his death certificate as being born in London. He is recorded as living in central London (St Margaret Lothbury) with his parents and siblings in the 1841 census. He married Emma Bird in 1866 in Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa, which is where he died in 1904. His death certificate states he had no children. This is where we still live. I hope this is helpful in sifting out which Robert Masons are your family!

Back