• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Roach/Roche?

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Could anyone do a lookup for a James Roach/Roache/Roche (not sure of spelling) who lived - I'm told - in River Street, Birmingham in 1901.
That's all the information I have, sorry...it's for a friend who's writing a family history but can't find her grandfather on the census records, and sadly my Ancestry subscription appears to have run out!

just to add to ladylindas post, james was 32yrs . a metal pickler. rolling mill worker. born in dublin. wife was margaret 28yrs also born dublin.
they had been married for 9years and had 5 children but 1 had died.
the living children were mary 8, rebecca 2, thomas 4 and rose 1. they were all born in bham.

Thankyou both - I'll pass the information on to my friend. Her husband died just before Christmas, so this is a bit of therapy for her.

hi charlie
i do not know whether or not its worth mentioning but there was a young thomas roach living and brought up on winson green rd
many years ago they later moved to the stirchley area many years ago , my sister inlaw is a roach but i would not think she is part of the gang you are loking for astonian

Thanks Alan, I'll let her know - might be a connection! I'll let you know if there is.

James Roach was my Great-Great Grandad. Living at River Street. I have been trying so hard to find more information. Particularly his wife Margaret, anyone know her maiden name? And just to add that in fact the 1911 Census was badly filled out and that only Margaret and Daughter Mary (my great-grandmother) were born in Ireland.

One way to find out would be to get the birth certificate of one of the children from the marriage. That should say her maiden name.
Janice

Back