• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Riverside Street - Aston Manor?

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
Street map request

I have searched my maps of Birmingham but can not locate Riverside Street, Aston Manor.

The 1901 census lists it as an address, but there is not trace of the street post WW2?

keith

Nor in the pre-war maps I have, either. Whereabouts was it in relation to other streets in the census?

I've just put Riverside street on the street map site, just for interest. Did you know there are only 2, one in Inverness, and one in Cardiff. Bit of trivia for you.

Can you give me the name of who you found there? I need to see the relevant page.

There is an error with the spelling of the name in the 1901 census - Acton to Action

Thomas A Action 23
Kate (Hunt) Action 26
Ethel Action 1

Thanks

Keith

It is Riverside Terrace, which seems to be off Aston Lane. I'd guess it's off the north side of that road, close to the River Tame.

Froth there is a place in the vilage where i live,and its name is just called ''Riverside''....Mossy

HI FOLKS ,
JUST LOOKING AT THE THREAD OF RIVRSIDE STREET ,
I THINK IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT ,THERE WAS A RIVER SIDE STREET IN And AROUND Digbeth And It Was Off A Road And a side rd Of Mosely Street , Or In And Around That Qaurter And This Would Have Been Around The Fifties [ EARLY ]
As You Know Most Of These Little Cobbled Stone Rds Have Gone ,
River Side Street Did Excist AT One Time In Brum ,

It was River street in Deritend as below Kelly's 1880

51 Buttfield John;, blacksmith

River street
Deritend,

River st, to 77Floodgate st.

Wall Chas. & Son, iron plate worker

Holder Joseph, iron founder
Cox Bros.& Holland, steel converters
Williams Bros. & Co. brass founders
Wingrove George, wood turner
here is Floodgate street

Last edited:
Just had a look in my old Wakelin's Street Guide, there is/was a Riverside AVENUE Cartland Road to Benfield Crescent, Birmingham.30.

From the directory of a 1960's map. Of course there were a lot of road name charges between 1901 and then.

Phil

img113.jpg

The houses and Terrace must have been in the part of Aston Ln that is now part of Witton Ln and Aston Hall Rd. They were obviously demolished or the addresses changed after the name change of that end of Aston Ln.
See maps post #9

Pom

Back