• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

River Street Digbeth

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
My Father lived in River Street in the 30's, this fine picture shows what was once Dr Crabbs medical mission on the corner but in this picture it was occupied by Cranes screw. My fathers house would have been just past Cranes Screw on the right, i understand the company owned the land and demolished the houses. The Cranes Screw building is still there but i can't recall what it is now.
My father recalls having treatment in the medical mission and also trips out organized by the mission. Would be interested if anyone else has info on River St etc........
https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/92164367

That was a very interesting piece of social history Carol,thanks.
What I remember about Floodgate St.school it had a very good boxing team...almost as good as Upper Thomas St.Aston...or is that selective memory.
Did visit there a few years ago,it was notable as a boxing venue, because it had a mezz floor above the ring.

Very interesting carolina , when baths were installed in 1905 some of the kids were sewn into their winter clothes and had to be cut out to put them in the bath ,it says it took half an hour of scrubbing to get the dirt off and 40 mins in some cases

When i lived in Birmingham , for 9 months I shared a flat with a just-qualified teacher who worked in Aston somewhere (can't remember where after all these years). He told me that one lad in his class was sewn up in his cloths for the winter. That would have been 1968

Hi, My dad's not convinced that this is River Street, although to me it does look a little like it. Does anyone have any plans as to where the houses were situated prior to the thirties, thank's.Was also wondering what that Bar is at the end of the street, looks like LAN BAR which I've never heard of.

From kellys 1962
Lan-Bar Ltd. pressure diecasters, bathroom fittings mfrs.
Senior works, 19 to 23 Seymour St, Balsall Heath
That would be about the right position opposite river st

Brumgum

Your dad is indeed correct and the River Street in the photo ran from Longmore St to Seymour St in Balsall Heath. Here is another view of it from another angle.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath River St 1961.jpg
    Balsall Heath River St 1961.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 47
One of my shots of 80-82 Floodgate Street, Digbeth from 3 years ago. River Street is to the left

% river street deritend queue for soup kitchen 1912.jpgRiver Street Digbeth 1912 children in a soup kitchen queue at the mission hall during the coal strike originally posted by Leonard Price on the facebook site

Excellent photos Bernie. So many people queuing at the soup kitchen. The photo outside the Midland Railway building looks like a police parade. Viv.

Back