• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rising Sun Pub in Heneage Street

There appears to be 5 pubs on Heneage St on the 1889 map - Stag & Pheasant, Dartmouth Arms, Shepherd & Shepherdess?, Globe Inn and Bloomsbury Tavern.

109 Heneage Street is simply listed in 1900 Kelly's directory as a beer retailer - as such it may not have had a name.

Searching Heneage St and publican in 1901 gives 6 results - Thomas Clayfield, Harry & Ellen Preece, John Raby, George Standley and Albert Wheatley. You could check to see if you can eliminate any of the pubs.

His address in 1911 is also listed as a beer retailer. In many cases these were not named pubs but simply small premises which sold beer. This means that in 1901 and 1911 his premises may not have had a name.

Findmypast - registration district, Aston; street, Heneage; occupation, publican.

1891 lists Alfred Henderson at 109 Heneage St and he was a Wire Weaver.

There's a Rising Sun Inn listed on Heneage St in 1891, possibly no 235.
Yes - 235 Heneage Street is listed as The Rising Sun on the rates books (owned and run by Wolverhampton Brewery) but the Rising Sun in #13 is definitely Talbot Street. This is the property rented to George Standley not the one in Heneage Street.

From Wikipedia:
A beerhouse was a type of public house created in the United Kingdom by the 1830 Beerhouse Act, legally defined as a place "where beer is sold to be consumed on the premises".[1] Existing public houses were issued with licences by local magistrates under the terms of the Retail Brewers Act 1828, and were subject to police inspections at any time of the day or night.[2] Proprietors of the new beerhouses, on the other hand, simply had to buy a licence from the government costing two guineas per annum,[3] equivalent to about £150 as of 2010.[a] Until the Wine and Beerhouse Act 1869 gave local magistrates the authority to renew beerhouse licences, the two classes of establishment were in direct competition.[5]

He seems to have moved about a bit. The 1900 Kellys lists him at 65,67 Henry St, 1903-1904 at 109 Heneage St., 1908-1912 at 35 Talbot st and 114 Holyhead road in the 1913 -1921 editions.

So Rising Sun from 1891 just seems a coincidence. It would seem strange to not live at the pub you were running.

So Rising Sun from 1891 just seems a coincidence. It would seem strange to not live at the pub you were running.
I am not sure what you mean. In 1901 George Standley was listed on the census at 109 Heneage street which is on the rates books as the Britannia Inn (beerhouse). In 1911 he was at 35 Talbot Street on the census and that is referred to as The Rising Sun Ibeerhouse) on the rates books. I assume in both cases he lived and worked at the properties. In particular on 1911 census it says "at home".
The confusion seems to be that there was also a pub in Heneage Street called the Rising Sun - I think this came at a later date.

Just meant two Rising Suns, one on Heneage St he had nothing to do with though it was on the street he lived and one he did run on Talbot St in 1911.

Hi All,
I have just stumbled on here having found a 1901 rent payment from 244 Heneage St,Aston for my maternal GGGrandfather Thomas Cornelius Clayfield. I can see him mentioned further upstream. The rateable value is £50 to Rushlows Brewery Ltd and it's a licenced beerhouse called "The Old Brewery Inn". I'm guessing it must have been a sizeable building at that value. Rent was £6 4s. I would love to trace a pic of the area or property or further info.
All help /info welcomed!
Sarah

"44 was the building in red on the c1889 map below. John O'Neil is listed in Kellys as there in the 1895 edition, and Thomas Clayfield in the 1896 edition (which would refer to 1895) and up till the 1910 edition, but by the 1912 edition (which would refer to 1911) the landlord is Henry Reynolds. Therefore Thomas would have been the landlord from around 1895 till sometime between 1910 and 1911.

map c1889 showing 244 Heneage St.jpg

Thanks both - much appreciated. Thomas died in 1911 so had given up the tenancy by then I guess. I'm now looking on to his widow and Grandaughter registered with him in the 1901 census.

A few years ago I commented in a topic about The Rising Sun Beerhouse on Talbot Street in Winson Green. I can confirm that my Great Nans dad, my Great Great grandad owned and ran it. As on the 1901 census, he is listed as a Publican living at Talbot Street. :)

Back