• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Richard Middlemore, the UK's top eye surgeon (1800s) from Birmingham

Stephen2020

Brummie babby
I think Richard Middlemore deserves more recognition than he ever has had. Not even a blue plaque as far as I know. He worked at Birmingham hospitals, wrote books and gave lectures. He also had a clinical practice at 23 Temple Row which building doesn't exist probably, because of the destruction created by the massive Rackhams. I think his building was where there is now a goods entrance at the rear of Rackhams????
His nephew was Birmingham MP Sir John Middlemore.

Also, I have been writing this 'middlemores' blog, I don't know if anyone may find it interesting?

John Throgmorton Midddlemore features in the this thread concerning the Middlemore Child Emigration Homes..

Last edited:
He gets a mention on the short thread Eye Infimary...

I think Richard Middlemore deserves more recognition than he ever has had. Not even a blue plaque as far as I know. He worked at Birmingham hospitals, wrote books and gave lectures. He also had a clinical practice at 23 Temple Row which building doesn't exist probably, because of the destruction created by the massive Rackhams. I think his building was where there is now a goods entrance at the rear of Rackhams????
His nephew was Birmingham MP Sir John Middlemore.

Certainly should get a mention in the Notable Brummies Thread. Here is his obituary from March 1891, Birmingham Daily Post.

8F9AAC72-8382-4C19-BAF8-0B17CA1E8FDE.jpeg0840AA05-FB57-415E-9EA7-4A5006DD6D97.jpeg39490B8B-F3F4-472B-848E-23C9A0A2CE5F.jpegF8821062-F09D-43FE-90C8-E5C4635A3F84.jpeg

Pedrocut, thanks for these additions to the thread, that last one was a great read. He was such a good man, and the £2000 and £1000 he donated would probably be around £399,000 in today's money. Of the brothers, William owned the saddle company, jointly with James for 10 years, until James retired, James also wrote at least one book.

Back