• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Respect

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
I am getting annoyed at people i do not know calling me Peter i had a letter from EON saying PETER as from January your electric prices are rising.
technically, it's not appropriate to use a person's first name, without permission. The right thing to do is use an honorific (Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr. ...) until the person says, “Please call me (first name). or is it me being a Victor meldrew.

moan over

Well, it’s an interesting point you make and do understand with people casting aside informality. Saying that, I am the completely opposite. Some of the older people at work would call me Mr, but as I associated it with old-fashioned management style, I would say its fine to use my Cristian name.

i think business correspondence, kids. insurance quotes, ebay, amazon, should be formal and use a persons proper titles. it was the way i was brought up to be respectfull.

I am getting annoyed at people i do not know calling me Peter i had a letter from EON saying PETER as from January your electric prices are rising.
technically, it's not appropriate to use a person's first name, without permission. The right thing to do is use an honorific (Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr. ...) until the person says, “Please call me (first name). or is it me being a Victor meldrew.

moan over
I'd count your blessings they're addressing you by your forename , normally these conglomerates don't even know your name, to a lot of companies you're just a number Victor

i think business correspondence, kids. insurance quotes, ebay, amazon, should be formal and use a persons proper titles. it was the way i was brought up to be respectfull.
Mw Unfortunately it does'nt work that way now at places of work where everyone is one of a team and everything has that Bon Ami approach more the pity I think too . I for one hated the phrase Team because I knew where I worked that about 70% incuding myself were pulling for the team and there was a good 30% pulling against us. You go to any seminars nowadays you'll find everyone has their names on there chests . So unfortunately you'll have to suffer it as we all will , the only other thing is revert back to numbers you are Number 6

i think its different if its a place you work. i am on about total strangers being familiar as if they are my best buddy
Mr. and Mrs. are typically used as titles or honorifics before a person's name to show respect. Traditionally, Mr. is used before the names of men and boys while Mrs. is used before the names of married women. The contraction Mr. has been used since the 1500s

i think its different if its a place you work. i am on about total strangers being familiar as if they are my best buddy
Yes I understand what you're saying , but immaterial of work or school , it's the way of the world nowadays everybody has to appear to be your friend how many times have you heard the phrase "We're here for you " it's upposed to make you feel at ease and everyone is getting that much more intimate in the way we adopt our day to day goings on . Using your forename has in a way broken your barrier down and every body is supposed to be nicey nicey . By the way take it from me I don't like it anymore than you do , unfortunately it's life . there's only the wife now that calls me Mister . So you'll have to suffer in silence cos things ain't gonna get any better

. Some of the older people at work would call me Mr, but as I associated it with old-fashioned management style,
No-one in 1970's would refer to our MD by his Christian name, David. We had a tannoy system which he would use if he wanted to speak with you. One day my name was broadcast, you felt that you had to stand to answer, after listening to the instruction I replied "OK, Dave, I'll do that" You could hear the jaws drop "He called HIM Dave". What I never told my colleagues was that the great man had delegated calling me to a workmate who shared his forename. They didn't need to know.

Well, it’s an interesting point you make and do understand with people casting aside informality. Saying that, I am the completely opposite. Some of the older people at work would call me Mr, but as I associated it with old-fashioned management style, I would say its fine to use my Cristian name.
I would agree, however I think it depends on the relationship. Co workers is fine however in Petes case a formal letter should be Mr P or Peter xxx. Where we live in the Southern US, (South of the Mason Dixon line) where things tend to be what I call formal/casual my wife is Miss Pat and I am Mr Richard. What I did not like was when President Clinton would sign his name ‘Bill’ on a formal document! I guess my age is showing.

As a youngster when using correspondence i referred myself as " Master (my name) Esq " These days i don`t give a hoot what people call me. I was called many names whilst in the army, most of them i couldn`t say on here ! Great times though.

University slammed for telling students not to say 'Christian name' or 'surname' because terms could cause offence.​

What are they suggesting to give everyone a number, then we will pay someone millions of £$ to develop a system that will take 10 years to agree too! Or maybe assign everyone a UPC code. Sorry but there are important things they should be doing with their time and money!

As a youngster when using correspondence i referred myself as " Master (my name) Esq " These days i don`t give a hoot what people call me. I was called many names whilst in the army, most of them i couldn`t say on here ! Great times though.
but did not like being called late for dinner:grinning:

moan over
I received a letter from NHS addressed to :- Parent / carer of Mr Nicholas PHILLIPS.

I'm in my seventies, it would be possible that my parents could be still alive but they died a numbers of years ago.

Yes it would be possible that I would have a carer but I don't

Why is PHILLIPS in capitals?

I phoned to make my feeling known, just received another letter in same layout.

Nick Phillips

Had lunch at a Toby today, chef referred to me as `fella` & my wife `darling`. Here in s/e Durham most folk are referred to as `pet` (except in a Toby):)

I don't mind my christian name being used if they get it right but have lost count of the times I have been called Roberta.

Visited my husbands family today , his 4 year old great nephew was there he said Hello Auntie Taylor, Alberta is a bit hard for him to remember.lol.

I found it strange when first moving here on the borders of South Derbyshire, that men call each other Me Duck! But i’m being sexist I suppose!

Still heard occasionally, but not as common as it once was in these parts - “boy”. What really winds me up though is being called ”mate”.

Back