• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

REMEMBERANCE DAY POPPIES of TEARS

Reginald.F.Horton

master brummie
REMEMBRANCE DAY POPPIES of TEARS

ON THE 11TH DAY OF THE 11TH MONTH
AT THE 11TH HOUR

A MILLION PRAYERS WILL RISE INTO THE AIR
A MILLION TEARS SHED BY THOSE WHO CARE
WE SHALL NOT FORGET THOSE WHO DIED
FOR THEM WE WEAR OUR POPPIES WITH PRIDE

MY BODY IT WILL GIVE UP ALL MY TEARS
FOR ALL THOSE WHO CAN’T CRY FOR ME
THEIR DEATH FOR US WAS IN THEIR VICTORY
THEY DIED THAT YOU AND I WOULD BE FREE

SO ONCE EVERY YEAR A TEAR I WILL WEEP
IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE MEN WHO SLEEP
SOME WHOM DO NOT KNOW THEY’RE GONE
IN DEATH THEY STILL KEEP MARCHING ON

BRAVELY HEARING THEIR COUNTRIES CRY
THEY RALLIED EVERY MAN, WOMAN & BOY
WILLING TO FIGHT UNTO THE LAST MAN
TO DEFEAT THE ENEMY WAS THEIR PLAN

TWO WORLD WARS AND IT STILL WENT ON
BEFORE SOLDIERS FEARS WERE OVER COME
THE ENEMY WAS DEFEATED THEY HAD LOST
THE PRICE BOTH SIDES HAD PAID THE COST

FAMILIES SCATTERED AS A PROUD NATION
PEACE BROUGHT HAPPY HUGS OF JUBILATION
TIME FOR ALL THE PEOPLE, NOW TO MOVE ON
VICTORY WAS THEIRS THE BATTLE WAS WON

SO WHEN IT COMES AROUND TO NOVEMBER
TO WEAR YOUR POPPY ALWAYS REMEMBER
BECAUSE I SHALL TELL YOU THE REASON WHY
FREEDOMS PRICE? MEANT MEN HAD TO DIE

Poem by © R.F.Horton
Remember the Fallen in your Prayers

Thank you Reg. There are some friends on this site who lost loved ones during the war and this poem will mean a lot to them. Would you post it again for us on the 15th August the 60th anniversary of VJ Day, the end of WW2?

vj day

Hello Grace
Thank you for your comments about my poems ,I will do as you have requested and post my Remembrance day poem on the 15th august it pays never to let a lady down but there again some men never do LEARN ?
Spiritual Light & Love
reggie

ONCE AGAIN IT IS COMING TO THE TIME WHEN WE SHOULD REMEMBER ALL OF THOSE MEN & WOMEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT WE ALL SHOULD REMAIN FREE FROM WAR & TYRANNY AGAINST ALL ODDS AS OTHER NATIONS WHERE DEFEATED BY THE ENEMY ,THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES THEIR SPIRITS & WILLS STRONGE AS IRON THEY DID NOT WAVER THEY FOUGHT AGAINST GREAT ODDS FINALLY THE ENEMY WAS DEFEATED THE BATTLE FOR FREEDOM WAS WON AT A TERRIBLE COST,BUT TO ALL THESE GALLANT MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMY , NAVY & THE AIR FORCE WE OWE OUR VICTORY TO THEM ,WITH OUT THE SUPPORT & BACKING OF THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE CIVILLIAN WORK FORCE WE COULD NOT HAVE WON THEIR INSPIRATION COMING FROM A GREAT LEADER " SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL"

Reggie O0 :coolsmiley: :police:

I ASK YOU TO SHED NOT JUST TEARS TODAY FOR ALL THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE TWO WORLD WARS, BUT FOR THOSE THIS COUNTRY KILLED UNJUSTLY ? THEY HAD FACED THEIR ENEMYS BUT THEIR BODYS HAD FACED TO MUCH STRESS THEIR MIND ,BODY & SPIRIT COULD NOT TAKE ANY MORE IT WAS T.L.C. THAT THESE MEN NEEDED AND NOT TO DIE BRANDED COWARDS THROUGH THEIR OWN FEAR AND WE SHOULD NOT JUDGE THEM ?
GOD BLESS THEM ALL
REGGIE

While the whole world is still in turmoil just take time out to remember all of those Men and Women who died , with a prayer. and also for all of those who have lost their lives defending not just only our country but also the people of other countries
for Peace we have a hard price to pay
Reggie  :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Just heard the news that two more Canadian soldiers have died today in an ambush in Kandaha, Afghanistan. We always have to keep these brave men and those who have given their lives over the years so that others may be free.
My father-in-law, long gone now was a soldier in WW2 in the Seaforth Highlanders.
The war changed him forever and although he came home many of his friends didn't and he saw them die.

Reg

As a newish person on this site, saw your poem for the 1st time tonight because jennyann had posted on it and pushed it to the top.

Brought a lump to my throat and made me think once more, on a purely personal level of the horror and pain my family and others have been through.. enduring losses during these wars of fathers, brothers, husbands, sisters, daughters and mothers due to the futility of it all...

They must have been so strong... I don't know if I could have coped with the losses that my great grandmother did... in WW1 within 2 years she lost her father, 2 brothers, 2 sons, and various nephews. In WW2 she lost a nephew in Burma, had 2 sons interred in Burma and lost nephews and nieces and their young children in the air raids on Ellen St Schools - commemorated on the memorial in the Bull Ring (Turland) ... How on earth did they keep their chin up?

My family suffered too - Listen or read Winston Churchhill's speeches - then you will know how much he inspired the people - we did what we had to do during the War 11 by keeping the stiff upper lip 

Back